Hindi / Urdu: spelling of "vo" used as a conjunction

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
Friends,

I am confused about the value (and spelling) of "vo" when used like in these verses (from "Dilbar Mere"):

maiN aag dil meN lagaa dūNgaa vo ke pal mēN pighal jaaōgē

First of all, for me, "vo" here is acting as a conjunction (=aur, "and"), therefore:
I will light a fire in your heart, and you will melt in an instant

However, I was corrected that the proper translation would be a consecutive construction, i.e.:
I will light such a fire in your heart, that you will melt in an instant
Why?

And my second question is, how should I write it in both Hindi and Urdu.
I used وو वो , according to the Platts entry for "and"

Platts
H وو वो wo (dialec. & colloq.), 1˚ pron. = wah or wǒh, q.v.; — 2˚ = we, nom. pl. of the pron. wǒh; — 3˚ conj. = au or o ( = aur), q.v.

but I was corrected by an educated Urdu speaker that I should have used وہ

I am thoroughly confused. Please orient me.
Thanks

• Alfaaz

English
    MonsieurGonzalito said:
    Why?
    but I was corrected by an educated Urdu speaker that I should have used وہ
    The following rearrangement might be helpful:

میں آگ دل میں لگادوں گا وہ ← میں وہ آگ دل میں لگادوں گا

In modern Urdu, the word is written as وہ ← وہی.

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    In modern Urdu, the word is written as وہ ← وہی.
    Thanks, @Alfaaz
    I still don't understand 100%.

According to your explanation, and the dictionary, there is a family of equivalent words: وُہی , ووهين , وهين , وہ (वह/वो , वहीँ, वोहीं, वही), all meaning "itself, the very same"
    And maybe that word acts in conjunction with the "ki" (कि / کہ, it "ki" not "ke") later in the sentence, forming some sort of consecutive construction.

So, "such a fire, that I will melt you in an instant" is a correct translation?

I would have expected jaisii ... ki, not vahiN ... ki
    Does vahiN also have the value of "so, such", expecting a "ki/that" afterwards?

Alfaaz

English
    MonsieurGonzalito said:
    ... forming some sort of consecutive construction.

So, "such a fire, that I will melt you in an instant" is a correct translation?
    The translation would be "such a fire, that you will melt in an instant". woh isn't necessarily related/connected to keh. Please consult the following:
    وُہ
    ۲۔ ایسا ، اس قسم کا ، اس طرح کا ۔
    MonsieurGonzalito said:
    I would have expected jaisii ...
    میں آگ دل میں لگادوں گا وہ ← میں وہ آگ دل میں لگادوں گا← میں ایسی آگ دل میں لگادوں گا

Jashn

Canadian English
    Just to reiterate what Alfaaz has said, it's not a conjunct, it's being used for emphasis. There are two clauses with 'keh' as a conjunct.

maiN aag dil meN lagaa dūNgaa vo
    ke
    pal mēN pighal jaaōgē

I guess a more standard word order would be: "main dil mein vo aag lagaa doonga/ki/pal mein pighal jaaoge" ? But I guess it loses its poetic turn of phrase like that.

littlepond

Hindi
    "vo" ("woh") here qualifies "aag" ("such a fire"), as you have understood it by now, it seems. In other words "maiN woh aag dil meN lagaa dooNgaa ki pal meN pighal jaaoge". The "woh" here can be substituted by the less poetic "aisii".

< Previous | Next >