Hindi: Verb+ne ka as an infinitive in colloquial Hindi

bargolus

Danish and English - British
I am going through transcriptions of conversations carried out by local Hindi speakers in Mumbai (done by a native speaker).

I am noticing quite often people use the form verb+ne ka, where verb+na would be more intelligible to me.

I wonder if this is colloquial way to present the infinitive? For example:

Kitnaa ye punya kaa kaam karne kaa yaa acchhaa kaam karne kaa, ye mere ko bataao |
कितना ये पुण्य का काम करने का या अच्छा काम करने का, ये मेरे को बताओ |
To what extent is this doing good or saintly work, tell me this.

Another example is

Mein vo ladki ko samjhaai aisa nehin karne ka beti |
मैं वो लड़की को समझाई ऐसा नहीं करने का बेटी |
I told the girl, don't do this!

There doesn't seem to be a way to read the above karne ka as a genitive form, unless I have misunderstood something?

• amiramir

English-USA
    I don't have a particularly helpful answer, except just to point out that I wonder if these examples point to regional substrates in the speakers' varieties of Hindi. For example, while some things are legitimately standard Hindi colloquial (e.g. मेरे को ), other elements point to non-standard grammar (non-ergative use of समझाना in the past i.e. there's no ने).

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Hi bargolus. To me this is not what I would consider as Standard Hindi and I am sure Hindi speakers on this forum will be able to shed more light on this.

For example in the first sentence، there is "mere ko" which is commonly heard for "mujh ko".

In the second sentence, I might say..

maiN ne us laRkii ko baat samjhaa'ii ki aisaa nahiiN karne kaa beTii!

Now, your question centres around "karne kaa" which again is not Standard Hindi (See Urdu: maiN shahr nahiiN jaane kaa/mujhe shahr nahiiN jaanaa hai)

The declined form of the infinfitive + kaa is an older form of the language which, obviously, is still current amongst certain communities. Whether the meaning that it originally had is the same as the meaning implied in these sentences is open to discussion. In the first example it perhaps equates to "karnaa ho gaa" and in the second one "karnaa chaahiye".

Last edited:

littlepond

Hindi
    This is the Marathi-influenced Hindi, the kind of Hindi one finds in Bombay region (and in Hindi films which depict communities living in Mumbai, Goa, etc.).

A native Hindi speaker wouldn't speak like that - unless that's the only Hindi he or she has grown up in (and in that case, is he or she a native Hindi speaker?).