hippy-dippy

< Previous | Next >

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

In one episode of the British TV show Cold Feet, Karen characterizes her young self as a "hippy-dippy." I see hippy-dippy gained an entry in some Oxford dictionary (on oxforddictionaries.com). Is it also used in the US? I might have heard it, but then again, I don't really remember hearing it.

Thank you!

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Yes, "hippy-dippy" is used in AE as well as BE. I would suspect that it's actually more common in AE, since we have more hippies around to describe...

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I've never heard "hippy-dippy", but it's probably a reference to the young people who were called "hippies" about 40 or 50 years ago. A hippie ("hippy" is a variant spelling) was typically unconventional, dressed casually, leaned politically leftward, and often used or favored the use of psychedelic drugs such as LSD. I would assume that the character you quote is saying that she was such a person in her youth. I don't hear people referred to as hippies now, except in the past tense.

JustKate

It is derogatory, but only mildly so. It's more descriptive than derogatory, at least in my experience. It's somewhere on the same level (though it doesn't means the same thing) as calling someone "ditsy" -that is, it's not complimentary, but it's quite mild, as negative comments go.

Last edited:

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    George Carlin, the late comedian, had a very famous routine in which he played "Al Sleet, the hippy-dippy weatherman". You may try Googling that.

< Previous | Next >