his attachment to the world reduced to “a few thin points of steel sunk half an inch into a giant Popsicle.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sbin19, Jun 13, 2010.

1. sbin19 Member

Türkçe
    It comes from there : http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/media/ngm/9612/hilights_splash003.html

Even the gear looks scary: ice axes for each hand and spiked crampons for the feet
    . A skillful climber himself, Krakauer describes in a brief essay what it feels like to hang by the straps of one’s ice axes a hundred feet above the ground, his attachment to the world reduced to “a few thin points of steel sunk half an inch into a giant Popsicle.” He also explains why he does it. “Ice climbing restores the primal hues that have been bleached from the canvas of civilized existence,” he writes. “

Could you explain how this red-coloured part is connected to this sentence ?

2. Wishfull Senior Member

jp
    A skillful climber describes what it feels like ; his attachment to the world reduced to “a few thin points of steel sunk half an inch into a giant Popsicle.

Hi.
    I think the red sentence describes the content of what it feels like.

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    The red part is an expansion of the blue part:
    A skillful climber himself, Krakauer describes in a brief essay
    what it feels like to hang by the straps of one’s ice axes a hundred feet above the ground,
    [what it feels like to have] his attachment to the world reduced to “a few thin points of steel sunk half an inch into a giant Popsicle.

4. sbin19 Member

Türkçe
    Hi.
    How ?

5. Maggiejane Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    English - Canada
    A skillful climber himself, Krakauer describes in a brief essay
    what it feels like to hang by the straps of one’s ice axes a hundred feet above the ground... the following subordinate phrase is the description of how he feels, i.e. that his life is dependent on two points of steel stuck in ice. If they come loose, his attachment to this world (his life) would end !

6. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    It's an example of an absolute construction, sbin19:

7. Maggiejane Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    English - Canada
    Excellent, Loob ! I never heard of a 'noun phrase'. I understand the use or mechanism but I didn't know it was called that.

8. sbin19 Member

Türkçe
    Thank you for your contributions... :)