His eyes wondered

CaruraLeam

Italian
Ciao a tutti!
Questo il pezzo in questione:
“Good,” Baba said, but his eyes wondered.
Il mio tentativo:
“Bene”, disse Baba, ma i suoi occhi erano inquisitivi/aveva uno sguardo inquisitivo.
Cosa ne pensate?

• CaruraLeam

Italian
    Ciao a tutti!

Il mio tentativo:
    “Bene”, disse Baba, ma i suoi occhi erano inquisitivi/aveva uno sguardo inquisitivo.

Copio l'intero dialogo per dare più contesto:

Yes, Baba jan,” I muttered, marvelling, not for the first time, at how badly Baba could sting me with so few words.
    We’d had a fleeting good moment – it wasn’t often Baba talked to me, let alone on his lap – and I’d been a fool to waste it.
    “Now , no matter what the mullah teaches, there is only one sin, only one.

Cosa ne pensate?
    Grazie in anticipo.

CaruraLeam

Italian
    Ciao a tutti!
    Il mio tentativo:
    Cosa ne pensate?
    E' fondamentale che tu scriva:
    - la frase originale intera
    - il tuo tentativo di traduzione
    e ci dia qualche informazione a proposito del contesto, grazie

Cosa significa "aggiungere il contesto"?
    Come e in che forum creare - modificare - impostare correttamente una discussione

This edition has "wandered", not "wondered". In the context of eyes, "wandered" makes more sense to me. Some people give these two words the same pronunciation, but I don't.
    You are absolutely right, sound shift. I don't pronounce them the same way either. This is a very famous novel written by an American author. I am using this for teaching purposes. Shall I assume this is a typo that went unnoticed?

rrose17

Canada, English
    I would have thought wandered, as well. It is a standard phrase “eyes wander”. But looking at the text again “wondered” makes sense. It doesn’t seem the character Baba would let his eyes wander here. He said “Good,” But his eyes were questioning. It’s odd but makes sense.

Mary49

Italian
    All the online editions of "The Kite Runner" have "wondered", not "wandered".
    "Ma i suoi occhi erano interrogativi".

Last edited:

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I would have thought wandered, as well. It is a standard phrase “eyes wander”. But looking at the text again “wondered” makes sense. It doesn’t seem the character Baba would let his eyes wander here. He said “Good,” But his eyes were questioning. It’s odd but makes sense.
    What comes before makes the meaning clear: Baba has just said to the narrator (a child), "I mean to speak to you man to man. Do you think you can handle that for once?" Then comes the narrator's offended "yes," so while Baba says "Good," his wondering eyes are wondering whether the narrator can handle being spoken to "man to man."

Would this be closer to dubbiosi than to interrogativi, or is the meaning much the same?

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    What comes before makes the meaning clear: Baba has just said to the narrator (a child), "I mean to speak to you man to man. Do you think you can handle that for once?" Then comes the narrator's offended "yes," so while Baba says "Good," his wondering eyes are wondering whether the narrator can handle being spoken to "man to man."

Would this be closer to dubbiosi than to interrogativi, or is the meaning much the same?

I think you are right. This is not about being inquisitive. "Will you handle it? I wonder.."

" "Bene", disse Baba, ma il suo sguardo rimase dubbioso"