his face were melting

< Previous | Next >

prometheus94

korean
~. But my hopes were shattered when my editor said, “I’m sorry.” I looked at him quizzically. “I am so, so sorry,” he said. “But it still doesn’t work.” I sat there staring at him as if his face were melting. I kept touching my forehead, the way you pat your head to make sure your hair is okay. Then I started to cry and told him I had to go right that very second. He told me to phone him the next day. I said I would, although I had no intention of actually doing so.

In the above text, I don't know the exact meaning of "his face were melting." I think the expression is related to the "staring at him." What do you think about that?

• owlman5

English-US
    I don't know the exact meaning of "his face were melting."
    This is a standard way of expressing the idea that the narrator did not actually believe that his face was melting.

I think the expression is related to the "staring at him." What do you think about that?
    I agree. I sat there staring at him as though his face were melting = I sat there staring at him in an astonished way as if I was watching his face melt or watching some other weird thing happen to him.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >