His heart was pounding unevenly

dudujr

Portugues, English and Spanish
Hi there!

I would like to describe somebody's reaction. So, when we are calm and easy our heart beats in a regular rhythm. But as soon as we get anxious about something, our hearts beats faster and sometimes we feel as if it beat in a irregular form. Having this in mind, I would like to know if the sentence "His heart was pounding unevenly..." is ok. The full context is this one:

"While these things passed in his heart, Belzhar and Na’ir looked at each other, and from their looks it was easy to see that they were both contemplating the same illusory possibility of peace. As they waited anxiously for Dhra’ko’s approach, Laomeh was sweating with fear and anxiety. His heart was pounding unevenly. His hands, more icy than the lands of Basan, delivered the uniqueness of the moment."

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The bold sentence is correct grammar.

If you want to know if this is medically accurate, check medical websites like webmd.com or do a google search.

dudujr

Portugues, English and Spanish
    The bold sentence is correct grammar.

If you want to know if this is medically accurate, check medical websites like webmd.com or do a google search.
    I just wanted to know if it was gramatically correct. Thanks a lot!

Andygc

British English
    If his heart function became irregular in rate or in force of contraction then your sentence is fine.

Andygc

British English
    His heart was pounding unevenly
    That is not a phrase from clinical medicine. It's a lay description of something that would be described in different words in clinical medicine. (Bed 4's heart is pounding unevenly :confused: I think not). It's perfectly normal English to say "his heart was pounding" when describing the effect on the heart of anxiety or exertion. Adding "unevenly" merely adds an adverb to indicate that it was not pounding regularly.

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    It's perfectly normal English to say "his heart was pounding" when describing the effect on the heart of anxiety or exertion.
    Agree completely. It's a sentence with clear and impactful meaning.

We have differing views on the adverb. I think it confuses something which was clear, and thereby ruins what would otherwise be a fine phrase.

'My heart sang' is powerful and makes sense. 'My heart sang out of tune' is just odd. I see this as a similar situation.

It's good that you and I always seem to have different perspectives ;-)

< Previous | Next >