His hospitalization risks <creating> a leadership vacuum

< Previous | Next >

Azimazi

Persian
I read an article in the Wall Street Journal the other day. There was this paragraph:

"The prime minister is the first head of government known to have been infected with the new virus, which erupted in China late last year. His hospitalization risks CREATING a leadership vacuum as Britain faces its worst health crisis in more than a century."

I don't understand the role of "creating" which I typed in CAPS in the sentence above. Why is there a participle. Is that sentence even correct? Or did they make a mistake? It can't be a participle clause because it doesn't have the requirements. Please explain what it is. I understand the meaning. I have no problem with the meaning/ I just don't understand the grammar of the word "creating" in here.

• grassy

Polish
    Creating is a gerund there triggered by the verb to risk. Similarly, we'd say I don't want to risk going out in case I might catch the virus.

Azimazi

Persian
    I don't think so. Because it's "hospitalization risks" the word risk is not a verb in that sentence it's a noun.

< Previous | Next >