His knife is very satisfied

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
“His knife is very satisfied with the space of their new kitchen.”
I wonder about the usage of “be satisfied” and “space” here.
Are they possible in the sentence?
Thanks.

• mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    I'd say that someone would be very satisfied with the spaciousness of their new kitchen.

It's very strange that his knife has an opinion about the kitchen size, however!
    Cycloneviv.
    When I finished reading your post, I thought it was wrong to write "knife", It should be "wife" :D

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Cycloneviv.
    When I finished reading your post, I thought it was wrong to write "knife", It should be "wife" :D
    Ahh, that explains it! I thought he must have a very intelligent knife!

As to "space" and "spaciousness", I'm not sure how much help I can be except to say that I would expect to see "spaciousness" in your sentence. I think it's because you have followed "space" with "of", which, to me, requires that you use "spaciousness."

You could have said:

His wife is very satisfied with the (amount of) space in their new kitchen.

I think also that using "space" by itself discomforts me because it's ambiguous. Perhaps there's a gap, void or space in their kitchen, an area where there is no furniture, just bare floor, with which she is very satisfied. Perhaps the kitchen is tiny, but she's not very demanding and is very satisfied with that small space. Using "space" alone, with no modifier, doesn't clarify those things.

I hope I'm not rambling in too confusing a manner! I think I need a cup of tea to kick-start my brain. :D

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, cycloneviv.
    I understand "space" you explained to me. What about "spaciousness". Please tell me your thoughts when you heard the sentence:
    His wife is very satisfied with the spaciousness of their new kitchen.”
    What is his wife satisfied with?
    Thanks. :)

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, cycloneviv, for taking time to help me as well your patience. :)

< Previous | Next >