his mother and his mother's lawyer comes to my office

< Previous | Next >

AliBadass

persian
In the movie ''The Lincoln Lawyer'' the lawyer's friend who is a bail bondsman is pursuing him to take the case of a rich boy and as he's talking about the boy says: ''so the client, his mother and his mother's lawyer comes to my office at 8 AM in the morning.''

Why does he add ''s'' after ''come''?

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    Not really. It's a series with three people:
    1) client
    2) mother
    3) mother's lawyer

"come" is grammatically correct. "comes' may be dialect (like N. Jersey), but it sounds odd.

AliBadass

persian
    Not really. It's a series with three people:
    1) client
    2) mother
    3) mother's lawyer

"come" is grammatically correct. "comes' may be dialect (like N. Jersey), but it sounds odd.
    You know that's the thing that is really confusing me. But here the client is already in lock-up and then the way he mentions ''his mother'' is kind of slight (as if he corrects himself afterwards and says his mother's lawyer). That would have made sense if he wouldn't have said ''and I made them crazy about you'' afterward.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Well, of course it may be a slip up, in describing the story, in "lawyer's terms", meaning they need to keep the story straight.

AliBadass

persian
    Well, of course it may be a slip up, in describing the story, in "lawyer's terms", meaning they need to keep the story straight.
    I'm afraid I didn't get you well. Mind if I ask what you mean by ''keeping the story straight'' and in ''lawyer's terms''?

AliBadass

persian
    And I should also mention the fact that the bail bondsman doesn't sound American to me. I mean he speaks in Spanish accent. Does that help?

sdgraham

USA English
    We've been over this ground before, Ali.

As with one or more of your previous questions, author Michael Connelly uses the language of low-lifes who and others who do not speak proper English when constructing dialogue for them.

The answer to your question (again) is "Because the character does not speak proper English."

AliBadass

persian
    We've been over this ground before, Ali.

As with one or more of your previous questions, author Michael Connelly uses the language of low-lifes who and others who do not speak proper English when constructing dialogue for them.

The answer to your question (again) is "Because the character does not speak proper English."
    Thank you so much sdgrahm, but are you sure about it? No offence but I mean this guy is a bail bondsman not that low life criminal guy.

sdgraham

USA English
    Speaking as someone who has read the original novel (along with all of Connelly's other works, and seen the film twice), yes, I am sure.

In the United States, we generally regard bail bondsmen as rather seedy characters. We tend to call such people "bottom feeders."

See

bottom feeders
    the bottom feeders are weeded out

Whether this characterization is accurate, I cannot say, but that's the perception and Connelly follows it.

You can get some insight into this world if you can find some episodes of "Dog, the Bounty Hunter" on the Internet.

AliBadass

persian
    Speaking as someone who has read the original novel (along with all of Connelly's other works, and seen the film twice), yes, I am sure.

In the United States, we generally regard bail bondsmen as rather seedy characters. We tend to call such people "bottom feeders."

See

bottom feeders
    the bottom feeders are weeded out

Whether this characterization is accurate, I cannot say, but that's the perception and Connelly follows it.

You can get some insight into this world if you can find some episodes of "Dog, the Bounty Hunter" on the Internet.
    Thank you so much dear sdgrahm. I just didn't think that the man (bail bondsman) would speak improper English. As you've read the novel and watched the movie you could be a big help for me. So if you saw any problems in my quotations from the movie please correct me; my listening is not that good yet so I pose my questions according to some inaccurate subtitles. Please if you noticed that, correct that and let me know. That would help me understand the movie better.
    Thanks again.

< Previous | Next >