...his person became indistinguishable...

Fictional

India - Hindi
Hello everyone,

I have encountered a sentence in Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged that I'm unable to understand. The sentence is as follows:

Mr Thompson, the Head of the State, was a man who possessed the quality of never being noticed. In any group of three, his person became indistinguishable, and when seen alone it seemed to evoke a group of its own, composed of the countless persons he resembled.

I think his person here means his identity, but I'm not too sure. Also, I've never seen such use of the word person. Would you please share your thoughts on this matter?

• His 'person' is his individual existence (esp. here, his bodily presence; how he looked), such as it is; here Rand is caustically remarking that he's NOT much of an individual (the type she admires). It's as if he's from a cookie cutter.

From M-W unabr, person entry:

4c : the body of a human being as presented to public view usually with its appropriate coverings and clothing <an unlawful search of the person>

5a : the individual personality of a human being : self <a very touchy person> <in his proper person>

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >