his person itself vs his very person

< Previous | Next >

egnarex

Spanish-Spain
Hello,
Could anybody help me with this, please?

"His person itself was such as to attract the attention from everybody". That´s in a context describing personal appearance

I´d like to know if I should have written: his very person was such as to attract the attention from everybody.
Thanks a lot!

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I would not use “person” to describe someone’s appearance but more his personality.
    I suggest you say “His appearance was such that he attracted a lot of attention.”

egnarex

Spanish-Spain
    Thanks Franco-filly. I didn´t know that nuance. I took it from an English book, and the author refered to his person and appearance. But I´d better take your sentence because it´s esier and says all I wanted to say.

pwmeek

English - American
    To answer the original question: "very" can (but needn't) be placed there to emphasize either "person" or "appearance". It adds a sort of "this one; right here!" to the word. "Itself" is also optional for the same reason. I don't think I would use both at once.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'His person' sounds very old-fashioned (pre-1900) for his appearance. The whole sentence sounds old-fashioned too ('such as to'). Be careful of using this book of yours.

egnarex

Spanish-Spain
    hey pwmeek! Thanks a lot for answering me. You were very helpul. Yes, the use is for emphasizing, and I think you´re right saying that wouldn´t use them at once.

egnarex

Spanish-Spain
    Dear entangledbank:
    You´re right. It´s a sentence that I rewrote. It cames for a book from the end of the 18th century. That´s why I need your help in this forum. because even when using this book is good, there are many things that I need to know, and the only way it´s your help. For example, I didn´t know that "such as to" was an old-fashioned expression until I posted it here and Franco-filly put me on the alert. And here you said the same again. I´m using the book because it´s a free e-book, and it´s free because ít´s and old one.
    So I am much obligue to all of you.
    Thanks a lot, take care!

< Previous | Next >