His rude manner/manners

< Previous | Next >

swayingrass

Banned
Taiwanese
His rude manner has offended many people.
His rude manners have offended many people.

Hi,
Which of the above make more sense to you? Thanks.

• Toadie

English
    The second one. A manner is a type of estate, whereas manners are how you interact with people. "Mannerisms" would have also worked.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    His rude manner has offended many people.
    His rude manners have offended many people.

Hi,
    Which of the above make more sense to you? Thanks.
    Both make sense.

The first is a statement about his general behaviour, his manner.

The second is a statement about his interaction with others, his use (or lack of use) of normal social courtesies.
    The second one. A manner is a type of estate, whereas manners are how you interact with people. [...]
    I think Toadie is confusing manner with manor.

Loob

English UK
    I was half-way through typing a long answer to this (I'm a very slow typist).

But now all I need to say is: I agree with panj:)

Matching Mole

England, English
    Manner means "way". By extension it means the way one behaves; how you come across in social situations. If you behaviour is rude, then yes you have a rude manner.

Manners is the plural of the same word. It's a collective term for social behaviours, usually referring to the correct way to behave in social situations. E.g. saying "please" and "thank you" and a hundred other social niceties. So you can be said to have rude manners if your set of behaviours are rough or impolite. We usually talk of a certain way of behaving as being "bad manners" if it is done incorrectly.

(Toadie, surely you are thinking of "manor" meaning estate.)

< Previous | Next >