his show off

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    I understand it as, "boasting".
    "Showing off" is not really boasting, LG. And, if it were, what would you like about his being boastful?:confused:

"Showing off" is making a display of yourself. If I know how to juggle and do it every time I go to a party, I'm probably "showing off". If I know how to ride a bicycle with no hands and I do it everytime there are people on the street to see me, I'm "showing off".

Sr. Moose

Banned
    Frostbite Falls, Alces and English
    I like his show off.

To me, the sentence sounds natural. So, I think, we can use "phrasal verbs" as a noun as in here.
    Yes, we can use phrasal verbs in their gerund form as nouns.

I like his showing off!
    I love his preposterous boasting!
    I enjoy his blustery swagger and pontifical parading!
    His irrepressible peacockery and grandiloquent showboating provide me uninterrupted pleasure!
    His bombastic bravado coupled with his supercilious strut and grandstanding provides me an endless source of amusement!

Ah-ha! Yes, "his show-off style" :) —nice work grenglish!

Harry Batt

USA English
    In ordinary usage "show-off" is a verb. In your construction it has become a noun. I could not be convinced to use it as that kind of construction even though it saves a lot of words. Eg. I like his way of getting attention by showing off.

se16teddy

English - England
    When show-off is used as a noun, it means someone who shows off a lot. You can say I like his butler, or I like his hair, but I like his show-off sounds very odd, because show-offs do not usually belong to someone.

< Previous | Next >