His tunic and <body> posture is/are the same as <that><those>...

Khaemwaset

Flamisch - Belgium
Which sentence is the best:
"His tunic and body posture is the same as that of the 4 sons of the god Horus"
or
"His tunic and posture is the same as that of the 4 sons of the god Horus"
or
"His tunic and body posture are the same as those of the Four Sons of the god Horus"
or
"His tunic and posture are the same as those of the Four Sons of the god Horus"

=>His =the god Anubis in Ancient Egypt.
=>the god Horus is also a god in Ancient Egypt
=>the Four Sons of Horus is the title for the 4 sons of the god Horus

• Khaemwaset

Flamisch - Belgium
    Is it not necessary to say that it is the body posture?
    When you say posture it could be the posture of an arm, a foot....

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I would not call the placement of a foot or an arm "posture". "Posture" refers to the whole body. If you want to say, for example, that in Egyptian sculptures the left foot is placed forward of the right, then you would speak of the position of the foot, and not its posture.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I wouldn't use "his posture" in your original sentences either. I think I might use "his stance", i.e. "the particular way he is standing".

His tunic and stance are the same as those of the Four Sons of the god Horus.

"Posture" is very often used in the context of standing up straight, or "having very good/bad posture".

Khaemwaset

Flamisch - Belgium
    I think that the sentence "His tunic and posture are the same as those of the Four Sons of the god Horus" is good.
    The god Anubis stands in the same posture as the Four Sons of Horus.
    What think the forum about the opinion of Senior Member velisarius to use of the word stance?
    Most members think that posture is correct !!!

Angela Thomas

English -- USA
    I think perhaps "attitude" is what you're looking for. Commonly used in Egyptology.
    ATTITUDE = a position of the body proper to or implying an action or mental state.
    "the boy was standing in an attitude of despair, his chin sunk on his chest"
    synonyms: position, posture, pose, stance, bearing
    "an attitude of prayer"

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I wouldn't use "his posture" in your original sentences either. I think I might use "his stance", i.e. "the particular way he is standing".

His tunic and stance are the same as those of the Four Sons of the god Horus.

"Posture" is very often used in the context of standing up straight, or "having very good/bad posture".
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >