His was a love story..

RusEng

Russian
Good day everyone.

I have already encountered fronting in English texts, but this one is a bit puzzling. Can someone, please, rearrange the word order for me, so that the sentence becomes more accessible? Thanks in advance.

"His was a love story, Charles D. Snelling wrote — a tale of a shiftless dreamer and the woman who saved him, of the life they built over six decades and the disease that stood no chance of erasing it."

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Where did you see this? We ask you to name the source of every quotation. It most cases, this would be the title and the name of the author. (See Rule 4.)

My first thought would be that this is:

Charles D. Snelling wrote [that] his [story] was a love story — a tale of a shiftless dreamer and the woman who saved him, of the life they built over six decades and the disease that stood no chance of erasing it."

Without more context I can't tell whether this fits, or whose story is being described. I would suppose Snelling is talking about himself, but perhaps he isn't. What are the sentences immediately following this one? You are allowed to quote up to a total of 4 sentences from any one source.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The context seems to confirm my reading. Charles Snelling was writing about his own life:
    [space]
    His was a love story, Charles D. Snelling wrote — a tale of a shiftless dreamer and the woman who saved him, of the life they built over six decades and the disease that stood no chance of erasing it. By the end, he said, their time together had become a case study in reciprocity.

“She took care of me in every possible way she could for 55 years,” Mr. Snelling wrote of his wife, Adrienne, months before the two were to celebrate their 61st wedding anniversary.

< Previous | Next >