Historic times

< Previous | Next >

Broca

Italiano
Hi everyone,
in a book about nature and its elements I've found this sentence:

On the Earth today, there are more than 1,500 active volcanoes, excluding those on mid- ocean ridges, and about 500 have erupted in historic times.

When is "in historic times"? Is it simply in the past, or in the distant past?

Thank you in advance,
Andrea

• Chez

English English
    I believe it means in times of recorded history. This would include Ancient history ( Greeks, Egyptians etc) but not pre-history (Stone Age or dinosaur periods etc).

kentix

English - U.S.
    I believe it means in times of recorded history. This would include Ancient history ( Greeks, Egyptians etc) but not pre-history (Stone Age or dinosaur periods etc).
    :thumbsup:

It generally refers to written records. Pre-history is the time before written records.

If your only evidence of an eruption is through archaeology, that's pre-history. If you read an account of an eruption written by people who experienced it, like the eruption at Pompeii, that's historical evidence.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Locally, "historic times" varies from place to place, and In Britain, for example, it is widely considered to be the period after the Roman conquest in 43 CE, although there are historical records of Britain from several hundred years earlier, made by merchants and others, rather than the inhabitants of Britain.

It is very difficult to know what is meant by "historic times" in he context of this quote. One meaning could be after the beginning of written records anywhere in the world, in about 2500 BCE. Another meaning might be "that have been written about", which will vary according to where the volcano is. Therefore, a volcano erupting in the Middle East might have been recorded 4000 years ago, but one in the Antarctic might not have been recorded till there was suitable global monitoring equipment in the twentieth century.

Andygc

British English
    You have not told us where the text was published. It seems to me that it is a loosely-worded sentence that means that there are written records of about 500 having erupted.
    in times of recorded history
    :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >