historisation vs historization

VaneF

Castellano - Argentina
Hi!

I am writing a document in British English and I am using the "-ise" / "-isation" ending throughout the document.
In almost every case my Oxford dictionary confirms the British alternative:

• mobilization (British mobilisation)

But that's not the case with "historization" which only appears in the "-zation" version.

historization

So... How does it work? Are there exceptions or is it just an omission in the dictionary? Can I use "historisation" anyway?

Thanks for your help.

• lingobingo

English - England
    Looks like an error on Oxford’s part. They even define it as “The action of historize”. :eek::confused:

But as a verb, they list “historize (also historise)”.

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi VaneF, I have to say I've never seen the word "historisation" (with an "s" or a "z") and it's probably not clear to the generalist reader what the word is supposed to mean. English syntax, in any case, doesn't naturally have recourse to this kind of abstract noun in quite the same way that other languages (Romance, Slavic) do, and it's almost certainly going to sound ugly and unnatural. I would avoid it. It may have a narrow technical or jargon meaning in a historiography context, but outside that kind of context it's going to sound strange. Can you supply the complete sentence in which you're proposing to use the word?

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I have never seen this word. I would expect to see historicisation/historicization, which I have also never seen, but it is at least more regularly formed. All -ization words come in these pairs: they can all be -isation. (There are a very small number of words where only -ise or only -ize is used, but they don't take -ation.)

Orble

Australian English
    No, I’ve never heard of the word. If I were to begin using it I would prefer to use an “-ise” ending as it is more common in Australian English.

VaneF

Castellano - Argentina
    Hi! Thank you all for your answers. Up to now I believed that "British spelling" meant, among other things, using the -ise / -isation ending! The Oxford spelling article has been enlightening. Regarding "historización", it is frequently used in the field of art history, sociology and political science.

< Previous | Next >