hit a lull

Wookie

Korea, Korean
The U.S. National Hurricane Center said the storm was barely a Category 1 hurricane. It remained stationary southeast of Bermuda on Saturday night, and even forecasters hit a lull: ''After a week or so ... I am running out of things to say about Bertha,'' read one official report. (source)

What does "hit a lull" mean?

• WestSideGal

English, US
    A "lull" is a quiet point, a period of inactivity when nothing is happening.

I suppose in this context it would mean that there was nothing more that could be said about the storm (Bertha) because it was not developing into anything that would be of noteworthy value.

The other clue is in the statement, "I am running out of things to say about Bertha".

Full Tilt Boogie

British English
    Agreed, but also, one can reach a 'lull in battle', e.g. where, historically, both protagonists either reach a 'standstill' (stop fighting) and agree to number and gather their dead, or regroup if they feel the enemy is doing the same.

An apposite point where The Korean War is concerned: there has been a 'lull' in the fighting since 1953; when a cease fire (but not a declaration of an end to the war) has been called/agreed.

< Previous | Next >