Hit it big/ make a killing

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
The thought to invest in stocks is quite appealing, but the risk is what keeps most people away. If a person is using their life savings to invest in stocks and hopefully hit it big then this is a bad plan.

http://www.bauerwatson.com/stocks-that-do-not-pay-dividends-are-like-a-baseball-card/
I think, in this context, "making a killing" is synonymous with "hit it big", which could be used without changing the meaning of the sentence. If there's any minor semantic difference between these two phrases in this context, please free feel to share. Thanks~

• DocPenfro

English - British
    To "make a killing" in the stock market is a phrase with a long pedigree; it would be understood anywhere. To "hit it big" is, I would suspect, an Americanism of more recent origin, so although there is no significant difference in meaning, it would not be so readily understood across the English-speaking world.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Yes. I would say that 'make a killing' sounds more natural in the context - 'hit it big' seems weird. Oh, I see; 'hit it big' - baseball; it's an attempt to be funny - a play on words; I've seen better.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks Doc, Beryl~ I didn't know that "hit it big" was American in origin before. I just did a quick search and found some references that confirm the baseball origin.

< Previous | Next >