hit it

prudent260

Chinese
From a Youtube video talking about the movie 'It Chapter Two':
"Critics didn't hit it as well as the first, box office- wise."

The host is talking about a sequel to the horror movie 'it' which was a box-office success.
Critics don't think the sequel would be a hit, but it ends up to be pretty good at the box office.

I think defition 16 in the Wordreference dictionary fits its use here.

16. to solve or guess correctly;
come upon the right answer or solution:
You've hit it!

Am I correct? Does the phrase always end with 'it?'

For example, a baseball team scores 5 points and someone guessed it. May I say, "You are amazing! You hit the result."

• S1m0n

English
    To start with, it's a pun. the reviewer is using the phrase 'hit it' because it contains the movie's title (It).
    After that it's not clear; there are a lot of colloquial and otherwise english phrases that include 'hit it'. I suspect the author might be making a somewhat forced reference to this one
    Urban Dictionary: I'd Hit it
    which isn't likely to be in your dictionary.

kentix

English - U.S.
    There's not enough information to understand it well and it might even be bad English. Do you have the sentences that came before it?

prudent260

Chinese
    Do you have the sentences that came before it?
    Verbal fillers are removed:
    "'It chapter 2' opened both domestically and in most major markets worldwide.
    As expected, it was a dominant force. It fell short of some of the outer projections some people thought it might.
    We will talk about it later but still a solid performance for a sequel to a movie.
    Critics didn't hit it as well as the first one, box office- wise."

It's the beginning of the video. There's not too many things before this sentence.
    Does it help?

kentix

English - U.S.
    It really doesn't make much sense to me because it's still not very specific. Here are the words that have more than one potential meaning.

- hit it
    - it
    - as well
    - boxoffice-wise (in relation to critics)

What the critics say and what the box office says are frequently different and no direct comparison can usually be drawn. There are movies that are praised that fail and movies that are panned that do very well at the box office (i.e. sales - number of tickets bought by average people). There are movies that do well at the box office and equally well with the critics (and also equally poorly). According to the Rotten Tomatoes movie site the critics reviews were about the same level for both movies (slightly more positive than negative).

So I really don't know what they are trying to say. I think "as well" might have been a very poor word choice.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I found the lines:

You have some transcription errors. When those are corrected it makes much more sense. The highlighted "with" is critical to the meaning.

"'It chapter 2' opened both domestically and in most major markets worldwide.
    As expected, it was a dominant force.
    It fell short of some of the outer projections that some people thought that it might, which we'll talk about, but still a solid performance for a sequel to a movie that,
    with critics, didn't quite hit as well as the first one, [but] box office-wise, though, still did well."

The speaker is talking about the two groups of people that have a reaction to the movie, the critics and the general public.

"with critics, didn't quite hit as well as the first one" = it didn't impress the critics as much as the first one.
    "box office-wise, though, still did well" = but the ticket sales were still quite good

In this context, hit as well, means having a positive impact. The impression it had on the critics wasn't as strongly positive. They didn't like it as much, although the difference wasn't huge. (They use different techniques to give an overall score for the critics reactions as a group.)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >