hit me up in a bit

shorty1

Korean
Dear all,

A native speaker took this example on Youtube to show how native speakers strike a dialogue in spoken English.
"Yeah dude so I get off work in like 30 minutes so if you wanna go get some grub or something, hit me up in a bit."

I don't know why he said 'hit me up in a bit' in this context.
What does the 'hit me up in a bit' mean here?

Thank you for your help.

• Language Hound

American English
    It is slang and here it means call me, text me, or otherwise contact me in a little while.

As I mentioned in the other related thread you started, I hope you understand that that sentence is extremely informal
    and would only be spoken (by a certain sort of person) to a friend.
    I personally would not recommend speaking like that.

I should add that I have never struck up a conversation with anyone by saying, "Yeah, dude, so..." :eek:

shorty1

Korean
    I looked 'hit up' up in the dictionary.

It said that means to ask someone for something(such as money).

So it doesn't make sense in this context.

That's why I asked this.

Now it has been clear.

Thank you so much, Language Hound.

Language Hound

American English
    "To hit up," meaning "to ask someone for something (such as money), is slang.
    "To hit up," meaning "to contact someone," is slangy slang, the kind found in Urban Dictionary.
    While almost all native AE speakers will understand the first meaning, I'm not sure how many
    would understand the second meaning (to contact).

shorty1

Korean
    I misused 'strike a dialogue'. I should have said 'to show the casual way they talk to thier friends' as opposed to a 'how are you','I'm fine and you?' thing that would likely belong to English text book in my country.

Thank you for the great link.

Last edited:

shorty1

Korean
    I concur with LH's comments (post #4). The Youtube quote is not an example of the way educated people speak.
    It seems that he deliberately exaggerated the way natives speak to make this video footage amusing as he is a foreign comedian in Korea.

Thank you very much, Parla.

Language Hound

American English
    It seems that he deliberately exaggerated the way natives speak to make this video footage amusing
    Actually, I don't think he exaggerated anything (although I haven't seen the video).
    I can imagine the sentence you ask about being spoken by a teenager or a twenty-something
    who thinks--falsely, in my opinion--that he is being cool.

Here is how I would express that same idea:
    "Yeah, dude, so I get off work in, like, 30 minutes so if you wanna go get some grub or something, hit me up in a bit."
    ===>I get off work in about 30 minutes so if you want to go get a bite to eat or something, let me know.

< Previous | Next >