hit pause

< Previous | Next >

kansi

japanese
What does it mean? Is it the figurative use of hitting the pause botton?

Katy Perry Announces She's Expecting a Baby Girl with Orlando Bloom — After a Very Messy Reveal
“It was all set for Japan with 150 guests. Katy was actually really excited about walking down the aisle pregnant,” a source close to the couple told PEOPLE last month. “They were both so elated that all the wedding details were finally coming together, but they are hitting pause because of coronavirus.”

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Ah it's not valid enough to be a dictionary-worthy idiom.
    Have you ever operated a device or an on-screen video that has a control that pauses the audio or video? It's a metaphor rather than an idiom* - it is understandable from the words. Would you expect a dictionary to have entries for each of them? :) In any case, dictionaries cannot include every possible phrase and that is one of the main reasons this site was created - for people to ask about those that aren't - a valuable resource is being able to find threads that have been created on a given word/phrase by others. That's how I found the thread I linked above - and you can too:) (by searching first) It is in this dictionary (site).

3418F3DC-F651-404D-87A9-C5AC499793F4.jpeg
    id•i•om /ˈɪdiəm/ n. [countable]
    1. Linguistics an expression or phrase that does not follow regular rules of grammar, or one whose meaning cannot be predicted from the meaning of its individual parts:

kansi

japanese
    It's a metaphor rather than an idiom* - it is understandable from the words.
    I see..thank you!
    I thought it would be a metaphor of it but since it's on a news website I thought they didn't use a term which is a metaphor of hitting the pause botton in a video game.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I see..thank you!
    I thought it would be a metaphor of it but since it's on a news website I thought they didn't use a term which is a metaphor of hitting the pause botton in a video game.
    It came into use decades before video games - you may be too young to remember tape and DVD players - video just refers to any content with moving pictures (unless you remember actual "film"). Most video games do not use that button as the way to pause the game.

< Previous | Next >