Hit the 6 numbers Vs get the 6 numbers right (Lottery)

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

Every week there is a lottery draw in which 6 winning numbers are chosen. If you play this lottery and, on your lottery ticket, you picked these 6 numbers, you win the biggest prize. My question: which option is idiomatic: hit the six numbers in the lottery or get the six numbers right in the lottery?

My examples (I made them):

a. He hit the 6 numbers in the lottery and won a big prize. I hit only 2 numbers.

vs

b. He got the 6 numbers right in the lottery and won a big prize. I got only 2 numbers right.

Thank you in advance!

• Myridon

English - US
    In the states we say PICK the six. Hit the six would be understood, but not so idiomatic.
    I pick six numbers every week. So far, I haven't had more than 4 correct numbers. "Hit the numbers," "get the correct numbers," "get the right numbers," "get the winning numbers," etc are the same for me. I don't think there's any one particular way to say it.

pops91710

English, AE
    I pick six numbers every week. So far, I haven't had more than 4 correct numbers. "Hit the numbers," "get the correct numbers," "get the right numbers," "get the winning numbers," etc are the same for me. I don't think there's any one particular way to say it.
    Plug in my pick the six with his examples and my answer is not incorrect. Even so, pick THE six implies the winning numbers, not just any six.

< Previous | Next >