hit the lottery

ELPYLULU

ITALIAN
Hi,

I have just listened to an interview from an american actor who uses the expression "it was kind of hitting the lottery".

I wanted to know whether "to hit the lottery" is just american english or british english as well...

Thank you

• Biffo

English - England
    I know the expression 'hit the jackpot' as a gambling term but not 'hit the lottery'. Please can you say what the conversation was about and what 'it' refers to in your quote.

Embonpoint

English--American
    In AE "hit the lottery" means winning the state-sponsored lottery. You buy a ticket, they announce the numbers and if you have the right one you win!

We often say "it was like hitting the lottery" when something good happens.

We also say "hit the jackpot" in the U.S. but that is a similar, related expression.

The question is whether you have a lottery in Great Britain and whether you have the expression "hit the lottery."

ELPYLULU

ITALIAN
    the actor Steve Shirrippa talks about how he managed to get the role in the TV show "The soprano" and he says that it was just a stroke of luck and he uses this expression "it was a kind of hitting the lottery" would you use it in english?

Biffo

English - England
    In Britain we have several lotteries but we don't hit them.:cross: We take part in the lottery or do the lottery. If we are very lucky we win the lottery.

Biffo

English - England
    A further question on the same topic:

In BrE we can 'win something on the lottery'. This refers to a relatively small amount, for example ten to a few hundred pounds. Then we could have 'a big win on the lottery' which would perhaps be in the thousands. If we 'win the lottery' it means we got the best possible result - all our numbers came up and we won the maximum prize available on the day.

Do you have these distinctions with regard to 'hitting the lottery' in the US?

Last edited:

Embonpoint

English--American
    Personally, I would not say hitting the lottery unless I won the big prize!

I won $1000 in the lottery.
    I won the lottery. (You probably got the highest prize but I would double check.)
    I hit the lottery. (I won the top prize or at least a very high prize.)
    My numbers came up. (I won the lottery. The numbers I always play were picked.)

ELPYLULU

ITALIAN
    Sorry Embonpoint..
    actually it was what I meant to say... but I didn't notice I had just written "english" and not "british english"..

Thank you anyway

As you have not taken the hint from the above answers, ELPYLULU, it seems necessary to inform you that British, American and English - as well as the first word of every sentence - must always be capitalised, and only one full stop is needed to end a sentence.

Rover

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >