Hit vs Catch vs Thunder

JONGWON

korean
Hi~ guys~ This time, I need your wisdom to figure out which word is more natural

1. Squeezing my eyes shut, I was about to step off the bridge when my ears( caught a splashing sound )and woke me up.

2. The moment I closed my eyes tightly and then jumped into the river,  the splashing sound( hit my ears along with sharp pain.)

3. The moment I closed my eyes tightly, I heard something slashed into the water and ( it's piercing shriek thundered in my ear)

My friends and I got into argument about the word choice
especially, hit vs catch vs thunder ( Third is my choice)
I think all of them make sense, but I think "thunder" is quite appropriate here. So what do you think?

• Myridon

English - US
    I think you've never heard anything splash into the water. The engine of a jet plane can thunder in your ears if you are standing next to it. A splash neither makes a piercing shriek (a high-pitched sound) nor a noise like thunder.
    "hit" - the sound arrived at your ears - nothing about the quality of the sound.
    "catch" - you barely managed to hear it - it must have been very quiet unlike thunder which is VERY LOUD!!!.

JONGWON

korean
    I think you've never heard anything splash into the water. The engine of a jet plane can thunder in your ears if you are standing next to it. A splash neither makes a piercing shriek (a high-pitched sound) nor a noise like thunder.
    "hit" - the sound arrived at your ears - nothing about the quality of the sound.
    "catch" - you barely managed to hear it - it must have been very quiet unlike thunder which is VERY LOUD!!!.
    Wow! Thank you for your explanation. So, which word is best in this circumstance?

Myridon

English - US
    So, which word is best in this circumstance?
    None of them are good. You have given us three very different sentences with no context so it's very hard to suggest something.
    Were you really asleep while standing on a bridge?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    To comply with our rule of 'one question per thread', you need to pick out one sentence as the context for your question about hit, catch and thunder.

Otherwise the other variables introduce other questions, which should have their own threads.

< Previous | Next >