hits the trail sporting “The Rachel”

< Previous | Next >

tesoke

USA
Persian
Hi, during the following sentences, from "Warm and fuzzy over Bush vs. Clinton" by Catherine Rampell, I cannot understand the meaning of the red part. Would you please explain it to me. Thanks for any help.

And, last but not least, a Bush vs. Clinton presidential race seems to be in the offing. Can it be long before one of them — Jeb, perhaps? — hits the trail sporting “The Rachel?

• Copyright

American English
    "hits the trail sporting <whatever>" means "goes out on the campaign trail wearing <whatever>."

The campaign trail is a journey to various states and towns to try to win support for election to a political office.

tesoke

USA
    Persian
    Thank you, but I do not know what "the Rachel" refers. Maybe Rachel has a similar experience -- going out on the campaign trail wearing -- in the movie.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Well, you could hit the trail sporting jeans, CR, if you see what I mean.

Are they:
    1) sporting a political message
    2) sporting some trendy wear

:(

You seem reluctant to use the new smilies, CR. Out of protest?

tesoke

USA
    Persian
    Thank you, but I cannot what is the relationship between wearing "The Rachel" and the Bush vs. Clinton presidential race.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    You should post 4 sentences surrounding the issue that you are wondering about, tesoke.

EDIT: Cross-posted. I guess you are free.

EDIT 2.0.: You should offer some explanation, CR, to be nice, and genuinely forthcoming.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Thank you, but I cannot what is the relationship between wearing "The Rachel" and the Bush vs. Clinton presidential race.
    The rest of the article is about various things that were in fashion in the '90s have become popular again. The author thinks that is because Americans think of it as a time when economics were better and there was peace (in the US).

The idea is the politicians will dress in a way that reminds people of these better times, and suggests that if they are elected they will return the country to prosperity and peace.

The suggestion that Jeb will wear a Rachel is a joke. A Rachel is a woman's hairstyle, and Jeb Bush is a man.

Link to article ---> CLICK

< Previous | Next >