hitsuyou

JapanForever

French
Hi there,
In this sentence, I would like the meaning of hitsuyou 必要. I know it means "to need" but I would like to know if it's "to need" in the sense where "he needs his sister's hand to do soemthing" or because he just "needs her hand". 必要 is to me rather ambiguous.
ただ, 妹の手がかリだけが必要だ

• Perhaps the point you have trouble with is not the part "必要", but "手がかり".
    手がかり(手掛かり) is a noun that means "a hint / a clue". Thus the translation will be something like:

The only thing he needs is a clue to his sister.

Here "必要" is used in the quite ordinary sense.

JapanForever

French
    Really? Thanks! I really thought that' it's meant "hand of his sister." As meant hand...And isn't it rather "The only things he needs is a clue of his sister?"

Last edited:

JapanForever

French
    By the way I wrongly recopied the sentence. It in fact ただ, 今は妹の手がかりだけが必要だ. And also right before this sentence there is this one むしろ自分の体が, 自分のものでないような心地になつていた . Does it change anything about the sentence?

Last edited:
    And isn't it rather "The only things he needs is a clue of his sister?"
    Well, maybe my English is not good enough. What I meant was "a clue as to how to help his sister".

Generally, when we hear "Xの手がかり" we imagine "a clue that leads you to solve the problem of X".
    (e.g. 殺人事件の手がかり a clue to the murder)
    Indeed this "" in "手がかり" is ambiguous, so it can be read like "a clue that she left" depending on the context. But in that case I'd write it as "が残した手がかり" to avoid confusion.

By the way I wrongly recopied the sentence. It in fact ただ, 今は妹の手がかりだけが必要だ. And also right before this sentence there is this one むしろ自分の体が, 自分のものでないような心地になつていた . Does it change anything about the sentence?
    Hm, these two sentences talk about quite different things. Then this ただ may be a conjunction that is similar to ただし or しかし.
    Other than that, nothing will change.

< Previous | Next >