HLM - Habitation à loyer modéré

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Chris Ings, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. Chris Ings Member

    England English

    Que veut dire 'HLM' en contexte de (ça se dit?) logement?
  2. Welshie

    Welshie Senior Member

    England, English
    It's a council tower block.

    Stands for Habitation à Loyer Modéré
  3. Chris Ings Member

    England English
    Merci bien, Welshie.
  4. Aupick

    Aupick Senior Member

    Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
    In the US it would be subsidized housing, for what it's worth, which is closer to the original idea, since not all HLM are tower blocks. There are some HLM in some very chic areas of Paris and other cities. But there aren't many, and when most people think of HLM, a council tower block is exactly the kind of thing they're thinking of.
  5. Chris Ings Member

    England English
    Merci à vous, Aupick!
  6. geve

    geve Senior Member

    France, Paris
    France, French
    These are more likely ILM (Immeuble à Loyer Modéré / Moyen)... but here we're plunging into the dark maze of French administration ;)
  7. l'airbleu Member

    philippines, english
    vieil ensemble HLM (habitation à loyer modéré)

    Could this be translated into 'an old rent-controlled housing project or area?'

  8. vimigini Member

    France / french
    i would say " council flat" ...
  9. baker589 Senior Member

    English - England

    I recently recieved an email from a french friend, in which he mentioned l'HLM. I'd always assumed that the H would be aspirated (le HLM). I asked him about it, and he says he wasn't sure which it should be, and a google check shows that there used fairly evenly, le HLM being slightly more common. So, is the H aspirated?


  10. Lacuzon

    Lacuzon Senior Member

    French - France

    Note that HLM stands for Habitation à loyer modéré. Since habitation is feminine it should be une HLM ou l'HLM just because that H is not aspirated. Though, l'Hlm is more difficultly pronounced than l'habitation. That is why you could find le HLM ou la HLM but it is not correct in a formal context. So your french friend is quite right.
  11. Grop

    Grop Senior Member

    Hello, personally I would say le HLM.
  12. baker589 Senior Member

    English - England
    Thanks guys. I guess while technically incorrect le HLM is often used too, which is probably good to know.

  13. viandeovine Member

    New York City
    USA English

    This is very old, but I wanted to add that in AE, HLM is also referred to as Public Housing Projects, or simply the Projects.

    See here to read about Chicago's infamous projects.

    In the US, projects are assumed to be dangerous and unhealthy places to live. Search the term in the urban dictionary and you will get an idea of the various connotations that accompany the term.
  14. wilnd Senior Member

    Yes! when reading "HLM", the first thing that got into my mind was indeed the PJs (for "Projects"):
  15. temple09 Senior Member

    English - British
    Just to check ... does HLM refer to the building, or to the flat inside the building?
    Welshie suggested council tower block (building), while vimigini suggested council flat (the flat).
    Or can it be both?

Share This Page