Ho cominciato ad imparare l'italiano circa due mesi fa

Ciao a tutti

Voglio sapere se questa frase è corretto.

Ho cominciato imparare italiano forse due mese fa.
I began learning Italian maybe two months ago.

Come si dice I began learning Italian about two months ago?

Posso dire?
Ho cominciato imparare italian circa due mese fa.

• DiFossa

United States of America English|Italian Dialect
    Welcome to the Forum! :)

Ho cominciato ad imperare italiano...

To the best of my knowledge, the verb cominciare is almost always followed by the "a."

Also, a, e, o when followed by a word beginning with a vowel should have the letter d added to them. For example:
    "e imperare" should become "ed imperare"
    "a andare" should be "ad andare"

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Camillo said:
    Posso dire?
    Ho cominciato ad imparare l'italiano circa due mesi fa.
    This is what I think it should be. To begin to is cominciare a, and I think here you want to use the article in front of italiano. But I'm not a native. :)

Brian

P.S. Since you've only been studying for two months, you may not have learned subjunctive yet, but... Voglio sapere se questa frase è corretto should be Voglio sapere se questa frase sia corretta. (Don't forget to make all the adjectives agree in gender! :D)

EDIT: Scusami, DiFossa! Ci siamo incrociati... ma sono d'accordo con te. :D

DiFossa said:
    Welcome to the Forum! :)

Ho cominciato ad imperare italiano...

To the best of my knowledge, the verb cominciare is almost always followed by the "a."

Also, a, e, o when followed by a word beginning with a vowel should have the letter d added to them. For example:
    "e imperare" should become "ed imperare"
    "a andare" should be "ad andare"
    Grazie per l'aiuto.

brian8733 said:
    P.S. Since you've only been studying for two months, you may not have learned subjunctive yet, but... Voglio sapere se questa frase è corretto should be Voglio sapere se questa frase sia corretta. (Don't forget to make all the adjectives agree in gender! :D)
    Thanks for the correction. I would just like to know. Is the original phrase still correct:
    I want to know if this phrase is correct.

What is the significance of using the subjunctive in that case?

Jana337

čeština
    Camillo said:
    Thanks for the correction. I would just like to know. Is the original phrase still correct:

The subjunctive is mandatory after volere and many other verbs and nouns expressing desire, command etc. Slavic languages use a simple conditional in such situations, so it will take a while before you have it under your belt. :)

Your sentence is not entirely correct.

Jana

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Camillo said:

The subjunctive is a mood, in contrast to, say, the indicative mood. The indicative is used in most statements because it actually "indicates" something--i.e., it makes a clear, unambiguous statements (whether the statement is true or false is another matter). The subjunctive, however, is used when there is a sense of uncertainty, ambiguity, etc.

What you're really asking is, "I want to know whether or not this phrase is correct." In other words, you don't yet know whether it is or isn't, so it's uncertain. Therefore, you have to use the subjunctive.

This common with sapere + se. You'll learn about the subjunctive later. It is very important, so if you want to jump ahead, I'm sure there are many threads lying around here, or you could look in a textbook/grammar to get the gist.

Brian

EDIT: Sorry, for crossing you Jana...my posts have been 2-3 minutes too late all night! :D By the way, what do you think of italiano vs. l'italiano here?

DiFossa

United States of America English|Italian Dialect
    brian8733 said:
    siamo incrociati... ma sono d'accordo con te. :D
    Figurati! :)

Camillo,

One would also use the subjunctive tense with "pensare," "credere," "sembrare," etc. It is rather difficult to use, and don't become frustrated if you don't get the hang of it, because many people, including native speakers, use the subjunctive incorrectly. Best of luck to you!

Wolverine

Camillo said:
    Ciao a tutti

Ho cominciato imparare italiano forse due mese fa.
    I began learning Italian maybe two months ago.

Come si dice I began learning Italian about two months ago?

Posso dire?
    Ho cominciato imparare italian circa due mese fa.
    Cominciare= if you start something = cominciare qualcosa
    Cominciare= if you start doing something = cominciare a fare qualcosa

So it's correct to say Ho cominciato a studiare (there is a verb so use "a").

Then there is the object of the expression.
    I've started to do (what?) something
    So Ho cominciato a studiare (che cosa?) L'italiano ( "L'"for the fact that it is an object and not and adjective) all'incirca (instead of forse) due mesi fa.

All the other comments were good and focused on the theme.
    I tryed to explain more the differences.
    Ciao

skywatcher

Italia, Italiano
    brian8733 said:
    P.S. Since you've only been studying for two months, you may not have learned subjunctive yet, but... Voglio sapere se questa frase è corretto should be Voglio sapere se questa frase sia corretta.)
    Ciao!
    Uhm, actually I'd say:
    Vorrei sapere se questa frase è corretta
    It sounds much better like this. I think that using the subjunctive is not a mistake in principle, but it doesn't sound nice to my hear :)
    I would never write "voglio sapere se sia corretto"

I would use the subjunctive in the case there is a negative form, instead:
    Non so se sia una cosa giusta da fare
    Non sapevamo se fosse la direzione giusta

An explanation I could give is that when you use only "sapere" you have to use the indicative form, even though there is a "se", because the verb in principle indicates certainty, while in the negative form it indicates a doubt (sorry for me English, hope it's clear what I mean)
    I am sure there are others who can explain better this thing.

Ciao!

Jana337

čeština
    Uhm, actually I'd say:
    It sounds much better like this. I think that using the subjunctive is not a mistake in principle, but it doesn't sound nice to my hear :)
    Ooops, all of us somehow confused "voglio/vorrei che" and "voglio/vorrei sapere se". :eek:
    By the way, what do you think of italiano vs. l'italiano here?
    I would root for l'italiano. :)

Jana

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    skywatcher said:
    Ciao!
    Uhm, actually I'd say:
    It sounds much better like this. I think that using the subjunctive is not a mistake in principle, but it doesn't sound nice to my ear :)

I would use the subjunctive in the case there is a negative form, instead:
    Non so se sia una cosa giusta da fare
    Non sapevamo se fosse la direzione giusta

An explanation I could give is that when you use only "sapere" you have to use the indicative form, even though there is a "se", because the verb in principle indicates certainty, while in the negative form it indicates a doubt (sorry for my English, hope it's clear what I mean)
    I am sure there are others who can explain better this thing.
    Not only have you explained it very well (and in very good English) but you'll be pleased to know you have Giovanni Nencioni and Luciano Satta on your side:thumbsup: :

"... «Desidero sapere se sia tardi» senza obbligo, va bene anche «Desidero sapere se è tardi.»
    In quest’ultimo esempio e in quest’ultima affermazione ho un sostenitore eccezionale...Giovanni Nencioni, [ex] presidente dell’Accademia della Crusca"
    (Luciano Satta, Scrivendo e parlando. Usi e abusi della lingua italiana)

skywatcher

Italia, Italiano
    moodywop said:
    Not only have you explained it very well (and in very good English) but you'll be pleased to know you have Giovanni Nencioni and Luciano Satta on your side:thumbsup: :

"... «Desidero sapere se sia tardi» senza obbligo, va bene anche «Desidero sapere se è tardi.»
    In quest’ultimo esempio e in quest’ultima affermazione ho un sostenitore eccezionale...Giovanni Nencioni, [ex] presidente dell’Accademia della Crusca"
    (Luciano Satta, Scrivendo e parlando. Usi e abusi della lingua italiana)
    Wow, meno male!
    Grazie e ciao.
    :)

< Previous | Next >