Ho conosciuto la figlia di Piero (ne/gli)

Cassidy's Mom

United States, English
Ok, I think I've read everything there is in the forum regarding this matter including a long document by Cadorini entitled "A proposito dell'origine della declinazione del pronome clitico di terza persona in italiano"...if you can help me with my question you are my hero!

Here's a sentence: “Ho conosicuto la figlia di Piero”
It could be written "Ne ho conosciuto la figlia." (right??)

"Ne" is there because of “di Piero” and please correct me if I'm wrong...

If I don’t use “di Piero” in the sentence, would the following be correct?

“Ecco Piero. Gli ho conosciuto la figlia.” (Meaning "Ho conosciuto sua figlia.")

Any takers? Thanks a million.

• MünchnerFax

Italian, Italy
    Ne ho conosciuto la figlia is right (provided that it's already clear you are referring to Piero, otherwise the next question would be "Whose daughter??" ;)), but it sounds a bit like talking posh. Ho conosciuto sua figlia would be the standard sentence.

Gli ho conosciuto la figlia is wrong.

Cassidy's Mom

United States, English
    Thank you for your response, I'm slow, but I'm getting closer to understanding...

I would like to ask a related question if I may:

If Pietro gets his bike stolen, it could be said "Gli hanno rubato la bici." Why 'gli'? Does it refer to "his" bike?

Memimao

United Kingdom English
    In this case gli is the indirect object. In English we would say: they stole his bike; Italian says: to him they stole the bike. It runs like that in Italian;)

giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
    If Pietro gets his bike stolen, it could be said "Gli hanno rubato la bici." Why 'gli'? Does it refer to "his" bike?
    "Gli" = "a lui". We often use the combined form of "a + pronoun" where you would use a possessive adjective:

Gli hanno rapito la figlia = they kidnapped his daughter

Gli hanno rubato la macchina = they stole his car

Mi hanno distrutto la casa = they wrecked my house

< Previous | Next >