Ho conosciuto tante persone tipo "X", che saluto e "Z", che invece non saluto

d0dUxDJ

Italian - Italy
Ciao ragazzi/e di WR, è il mio primo post, se c'è qualcosa che devo modificare fatemi sapere, provvederò.

Mi servirebbe una mano su un caso un po' particolare, ho un vuoto al momento e non so da che parte girarmi.

Sto traducendo dei sottotitoli di un mio video che sto per pubblicare, e dovrei tradurre il saluto in un contesto tipo questo:

"Ho conosciuto tante persone tipo "X", che saluto, "Y", che saluto, e "Z", che invece non saluto perchè..."
"I met a lot of people, like/for example "X", ??? "Y", ??? and "Z", ???"

Non so se è chiara la mia richiesta, in caso, scrivetemi cosa non ho spiegato a dovere.
Grazie in anticipo e perdonatemi eventuali errori.

Edit: Grazie della correzione. Perdono.

Last edited:
  • rrose17

Canada, English
    Ciao and welcome. Maybe something like
    I've known a lot of people, X for example who(m) I say hello to, or Y, while there's Z who(m) I don't say hello to because...

Benzene

Italian from Italy
    Ciao d0dUxDJ e Benvenuto su WRF!:)

Suggerisco una traduzione letterale: "I met so many "X" and "Y" type people who I greet and other "Z" type who I instead not greeting".

Bye,

Benzene

d0dUxDJ

Italian - Italy
    Ciao and welcome. Maybe something like
    I've known a lot of people, X for example who(m) I say hello to, or Y, while there's Z who(m) I don't say hello to because...
    Thanks a lot! Yes, that's what I thought at first too. I used which instead of who though, would that still work in this case?

Ciao d0dUxDJ e Benvenuto su WRF!:)

Suggerisco una traduzione letterale: "I met so many "X" and "Y" type people who I greet and other "Z" type who I instead not greeting".

Bye,

Benzene
    Thanks a lot to you too! I think you misunderstood though; I'm not referring to "type" of people, I'm referring to an actual person with X, someone else with Y, and another one with Z. I used those because they're youtubers and I don't want to get in trouble with advertising.

Also, I'm a bit confused: "and other "Z" type who I instead not greeting". Shouldn't that be "and other "Z" type who I instead don't/won't greet"?

I could definitely be wrong but that sounds weird.

rrose17

Canada, English
    Ciao Ben sorry it doesn't make sense the way you have it, which is why I changed I met to have known (or could be have met). I met people who I greet... sounds odd.

Thanks a lot! Yes, that's what I thought at first too. I used which instead of who though, would that still work in this case?
    No, you need to use "who(m)". ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

d0dUxDJ

Italian - Italy
    Ciao Ben sorry it doesn't make sense the way you have it, which is why I changed I met to have known (or could be have met). I met people who I greet... sounds odd.
    The people I'm referring to with "X, Y and Z" are famous youtubers I met in a congress in Milan. So I wanted to "say hello to them", but since i worded it weirdly in Italian (which I shouldn't have done in the video) and since I can't even change the original meaning a single bit, I was a bit screwed by this "empty hole" in my mind.

No, you need to use "who(m)". ;)

Does your translation still work with this added info, rrose17? If it does, I'm going to correct myself in the subtitles.

rrose17

Canada, English
    Hmmm, no I don't think so. Maybe better is to go very colloquial like
    There are so many people I met, like X and Y (Hey guys!) and Z who I can't say hi to because...

d0dUxDJ

Italian - Italy
    Hmmm, no I don't think so. Maybe better is to go very colloquial like
    There are so many people I met, like X and Y (Hey guys!) and Z who I can't say hi to because...
    That works! I don't know why I didn't think of this, you are my saviour. Thanks a lot!

< Previous | Next >