Hoboken Hustle

< Previous | Next >

Tenos

Arabic
In one of the episodes of Cake Boss, which is about Buddy, the famous chef and his bakery, Buddy meets Justin Tuck, the football player who us going to have a billiard tournament and wants Buddy to make a cake for this event. Buddy agrees to make the cake and then ha says that he himself plays billiard. He tells him "
I actually have a pool table and I am from Hoboken. They call it the “Hoboken Hustle,” you know?" What does he mean by "Hoboken Hustle? and what does it have to do with billiard?

• dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    Hoboken is a city in New Jersey. Hustle is in the WR dictionary:

• an inducing by fraud, pressure, or deception, esp. of inexperienced or uninformed persons, to buy something, to participate in an illicit scheme, dishonest gambling game, etc.
    "Hoboken Hustle" is a slang term for cheating someone. It only related to billiards in your post because it suggests the person will cheat at billiards.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Back 50 years ago, a professional pool player was called a "hustler" or "pool hustler".

It becomes a negative term when the player pretends to be an average player until money has been bet, and then uses his expertise to win. That kind of semi-cheating (pretending to poor skill until money is bet) is called "hustling someone" or "pool hustling".

In the story, Buddy uses "the Hoboken Hustle" as a local term for playing pool (or hustling). I say "local" because I grew up 18 miles from Hoboken, and I've never heard of it.

Tenos

Arabic
    ok. but later in the episode when he starts playing he says "the Hoboken Hustle was in the house" what does he mean by this?

< Previous | Next >