hold (both) a Bachelor's and (a?) Master's degree

< Previous | Next >

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is correct in the following (it is part of a text written to introduce myself) (I would opt for the second):
My name is XY. I hold a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Z.
My name is XY. I hold a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Z.
My name is XY. I hold both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Z.

• marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    I'd say "I hold both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree..."
    "I hold bachelor's and master's degrees...."
    Thank you, Franco-filly and RM1(SS), for your replies. And, if received is used in place if hold, and the year in which the titles were awarded is included, can the sentence be written as follows:
    I received a Bachelor's in 2013, and a Master's degree in 2015 in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Z.?

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    I received a Bachelor's in 2013, and a Master's degree in 2015 in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Z.?
    By complicating things, you've displaced "in Mechanical Engineering." We don't know what your bachelor's degree was, and "a Master's degree in 2015 in Mechanical Engineering" is in the wrong order.
    I received a Bachelor's (in English Literature) in 2013, and a Master's degree in 2015 in Mechanical Engineering in 2015 from the University of Z.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I would make one slight change to Myridon's version:
    I received a Bachelor's degree (in English Literature) in 2013, and a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering in 2015 from the University of Z.
    If both degrees were awarded by the U of Z, I would add a comma after "2015".

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    By complicating things, you've displaced "in Mechanical Engineering." We don't know what your bachelor's degree was, and "a Master's degree in 2015 in Mechanical Engineering" is in the wrong order.
    I received a Bachelor's (in English Literature) in 2013, and a Master's degree in 2015 in Mechanical Engineering in 2015 from the University of Z.
    I would make one slight change to Myridon's version:
    If both degrees were awarded by the U of Z, I would add a comma after "2015".
    Thank you, Myridon and RM1(SS). Since both degrees are in Mechanical Engineering, is it correct to write:
    I received both a Bachelor's degree in 2013 and a Master's in Mechanical Engineering in 2015, from the University of Z.?
    Or:
    I hold both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Z.?

Myridon

English - US
    I received both a Bachelor's degree in 2013 and a Master's in Mechanical Engineering in 2015, from the University of Z.?
    Or:
    I hold both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Z.?
    As I said earlier, the first one doesn't attach "in Mechanical Engineering" to "a Bachelor's degree." If "in Mechanical Engineering" did apply to both, then "in 2015" must also apply to both as well because the grammar is the same.
    I hold both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Z which I received in 2013 and 2015 respectively.
    or many other ways.

< Previous | Next >