hold down

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I came across this phrase referring to an action by which a person is pressing a keystroke for a certain time, in order to fulfill certain function. I was wondering whether it is formal and is there any better choice?

e.g. You should hold down Shift.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    That is the simplest and therefore best way of saying it. It is neither formal nor informal, just standard English.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I think those are also standard English. There are often many different ways in English of saying the same thing - far more than the dictionary can list. You should not assume that something is incorrect just because you fail to find it in a dictionary, especially when it relates to using technology.

Sun14

Chinese
    I think those are also standard English. There are often many different ways in English of saying the same thing - far more than the dictionary can list. You should not assume that something is incorrect just because you fail to find it in a dictionary, especially when it relates to using technology.
    Got it. I would use "hold down". Thank you very much.

Linkway

British English
    Also, "click and hold" and "press and hold" may mean different things, depending on context.

For example, we might say "He clicked his mouse" or "Click and hold the right mouse button", but we also say "Click this link" (ie a hyperlink on a website page).

"Press and hold" could be used regarding a physical mouse button.

But if you meant a key on a physical keyboard, you cannot use "click" instead.

eg "Press and hold the F7 function key on your keyboard".

Sun14

Chinese
    Also, "click and hold" and "press and hold" may mean different things, depending on context.

For example, we might say "He clicked his mouse" or "Click and hold the right mouse button", but we also say "Click this link" (ie a hyperlink on a website page).

"Press and hold" could be used regarding a physical mouse button.

But if you meant a key on a physical keyboard, you cannot use "click" instead.

eg "Press and hold the F7 function key on your keyboard".
    Got it. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >