Hold on one second, please. I'll go get them. [phone call]

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

If you answer a landline (phone) and someone is asking to speak to someone else, how would you say "Hold on one second, please. I'll go get them." in Chinese? (in informal or formal Chinese)
Thanks! :)

• azhong

Traditional Chinese
    (Taiwan)
    Inf: 你等一下,我叫他
    F1:請您稍等,我請他來聽電話 (when 他 is an elderly, boss, etc)
    F2請您稍等,我讓他來聽電話(when他 is a kid, younger person, etc)

yuechu

Canada, English
    Thanks for the examples you gave, Azhong! Those are great! (I learnt some new phrases :) )

How would it sound if one said "等一下,我去找他(or 她)"?

Jake_Chan

Mandarin - Chinese
    We normally don't say: 我去找他(or 她).

Let's say Joey is afraid of commitments. He usually goes out with beautiful women for only a short period of time and never sees them again. One day, Laura, the girl who Joey went out with lately, called and you picked up the phone. When Joey heard it was Laura calling, he was so afraid that he hid under his bed. You said to Laura:" 等一下,我去找一下他,(他不知道躲哪里去了)" to create a humorous effect.

In everyday conversations, we usually say: 请等一下,我让他/她来接电话。

SuperXW

Sounds ok to me, if you are not sure where the person is.
    Maybe you are colleagues. You have to go to check if he's at his seat, or in the meeting room, or somewhere.
    After a while, you may come back to say "抱歉, 没找到. (sorry, didn't find him.)"

But if you know where the person should be, you'd better answer with others' suggestions.

"Hold on one second, please. I'll go get them."
    But here's my question about English. Why "them"? I think only one person should be found to answer the phone?

Last edited:

Jake_Chan

Mandarin - Chinese
    But here's my question about English. Why "them"? I think only one person should be found to answer the phone?
    'Them' is used instead of 'him or her', mainly in spoken English, to refer to a single person.

Someone phoned while I was in the meeting, but I told them to call back later. (I told that person to call back later)

gonecar

Chinese-Mandarin Chinese
    Here's my question about English. Why "them"? I think only one person should be found to answer the phone?

Here's what I'm thinking:

"Them" can be a "him"or "her".
    Like,
    "OK, I will go get them for you,(although I don't know the person you're looking for, or even their gender). Anyway, I will work to get you the person."