holding a tiny bundle in his arms

< Previous | Next >

min1127

Korean- Republic of Korea
Hello, everyone.

Into the Orangutan Rescue Center on the island of Borneo rushed a rescue worker holding a tiny bundle in his arms.

In the sentence above, I wonder how I can translate the bold part.

1) Into the Orangutan Rescue Center on the island of Borneo rushed a rescue worker, as he held a tiny bundle in his arms.

2) Into the Orangutan Rescue Center on the island of Borneo rushed a rescue worker who is holding a tiny bundle in his arms.

Which is more natural between (1) and (2)? Please help.

• min1127

Do you mean 'paraphrase' or 'rephrase' rather than 'translate'? If so, why?

1) is greatly inferior to the original, and 2) is ungrammatical.
    Oh, I mean 'paraphrase' here. I have to know the natural meaning of that sentence because I should teach my students about how we can translate that sentence into our language. When we translate that sentence into our language, due to the characteristics of Korean, my students tend to understand the meaning of that sentence as in (2). So before I teach them, I wanted to know the exact translation of the sentence.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I don't have a good paraphrase, but I can explain the meaning and let you create the equivalent Korean sentence (or sentences).

Into the Orangutan Rescue Center on the island of Borneo rushed a rescue worker holding a tiny bundle in his arms.
    The non-bold part is a re-ordering of the normal-word-order sentence:

A rescue worker rushed into the Orangutan Rescue Center on the island of Borneo.

The bold addition is a sub-clause modifying the word before it ("worker").
    In meaning, the bold part could be replaced by a 2d sentence saying:

The worker was holding a tiny bundle in his arms.

min1127

I don't have a good paraphrase, but I can explain the meaning and let you create the equivalent Korean sentence (or sentences).

The non-bold part is a re-ordering of the normal-word-order sentence:

A rescue worker rushed into the Orangutan Rescue Center on the island of Borneo.

The bold addition is a sub-clause modifying the word before it ("worker").
    In meaning, the bold part could be replaced by a 2d sentence saying:

The worker was holding a tiny bundle in his arms.
    Really thanks for your clear explanation.

< Previous | Next >