Holding an MSc degree

uselessuser2014

Turkish
Dear all,

I was just wondering whether there is a better alternative to holding in the following sentence? I want to structure the sentence in a way that the part after comma should be interpreted as the outcome of the part before comma.

Holding
a MSc degree in Engineering with electives in Business and a PhD in Economics, I have the capacity and enthusiasm to work in a multidisciplinary context.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
  • Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    An M Sc in Engineering with electives in Business and a PhD in Economics, I have....

Assuming that electives in Business were part of the M Sc course.

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I do not like participle phrases of any length with important information. It's much better to make a full clause using a conjunction such as 'since'.
    Or, you could start with "I have an MSc/a Master's in ......... , so ... ."
    'Degree' is not necessary.
    (If you want to use ' a Master's' please ask about the punctuation to see what the preferred usage is.)

Uncle Jack

British English
    I want to structure the sentence in a way that the part after comma should be interpreted as the outcome of the part before comma.
    This isn't really the purpose of participle phrases, which are there to add some information about the subject, often incidental to the main clause.

You might do better to use a gerund phrase instead, as the subject of a verb. The wording barely needs to change, as "holding" can be a participle or a gerund, but you need to replace the comma and "I have" with a verb (such as give) and "me".

uselessuser2014

Turkish
    I do not like participle phrases of any length with important information. It's much better to make a full clause using a conjunction such as 'since'.
    Or, you could start with "I have an MSc/a Master's in ......... , so ... ."
    'Degree' is not necessary.
    (If you want to use ' a Master's' please ask about the punctuation to see what the preferred usage is.)

Thanks a lot for your constructive and informative message. Indeed, this was the way how I have structured the sentence before. However, this structure has created some concerns in the respective paragraph due to repetition.

uselessuser2014

Turkish
    This isn't really the purpose of participle phrases, which are there to add some information about the subject, often incidental to the main clause.

You might do better to use a gerund phrase instead, as the subject of a verb. The wording barely needs to change, as "holding" can be a participle or a gerund, but you need to replace the comma and "I have" with a verb (such as give) and "me".
    Thank you for your constructive and informative message. Indeed, this was the solution I was looking for. It suited perfectly the line of reasoning in the paragraph.

< Previous | Next >