Holding company = corporation (Inc)?

bonbon2023

Korean(south)
There is a definition that "A holding company is a company that has enough shares in one or more other companies to be able to control the other companies."
Then, does 'a holding company' mean 'a corporation(Inc)'?

• bonbon2023

Korean(south)
    Yes. a corporation=a large company Afterwards, I found a corporation has shares and legally established company by searching on Google.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    holding company:
    holding company
    ▶noun a company created to buy shares in other companies, which it then controls.
    whereas
    corporation:
    corporation/kɔːpəˈreɪʃn/
    ▶noun
    • 1 a large company or group of companies authorized to act as a single entity and recognized as such in law.
    So in answer to your original question, I would say no, these are not the same.

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Beryl is correct. "Corporation" describes how the ownership of a company is organized. "Holding company" describes what the company does. These are totally separate issues. A holding company can be a corporation, but it does not have to be.

bonbon2023

Korean(south)
    Beryl is correct. "Corporation" describes how the ownership of a company is organized. "Holding company" describes what the company does. These are totally separate issues. A holding company can be a corporation, but it does not have to be.
    Thank you Beryl, Egmont. I now understand.

< Previous | Next >