Hole in the Ozark

Tina Turner

Portuguese - Brasil
Hi everyone!

In a trailer of a comedy movie, a guy is arguing that those discussions about the "end of the world" are boring, and then he talks about "famine", "droughts" and... "the Hole in the Ozark". Could that be a joke about the Ozone Hole? Is that a common phrase? I know that there is a "Glory Hole of the Ozark", and that it is a sightseeing in the Ozark National Park, in the US. But I am not quite sure if that is a Joke or if I just misunderstood his words.

thanks a lot! :)

• kentix

English - U.S.
    It might suggest he has misunderstood the word all these years. Either that, or you misheard it.

If it's the first, it's supposed to be amusing to the audience.

The Ozark region, by reputation, is an area where fewer people are well-educated, compared to most other parts of the country.

dojibear

US English
    But I am not quite sure if that is a Joke or if I just misunderstood his words.
    The correct phrase is "a hole in the ozone". It refers to a weakness in "the ozone layer", part of Earth's atmosphere.

The character incorrectly says "a hole in the Ozark". This implies that the character is stupid, and has never heard of "the ozone layer" or understood what it means.