Home Owner Residents

mahsa.mim

Persian
Hi again,
We compared demoralization among elderly people living at home with those living at nursing homes.
which phrase is more appropriate :

360 elderly people were chosen :110 nursing home residents, 150 Home Residents / or home owner residents?

may I simply say : Residential and Non-Residential ?

Note: 110 nursing homes residents, was edited to '110 nursing home residents' after the post below was posted. Cagey, moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
  • GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    "Residential" and "Non-residential" do not work, because each group has a residence.

I would have said "110 who lived in care-providing facilities, and 150 who lived in their own homes." I could then refer to them again as "facility residents" and "home residents."

Packard

USA, English
    "Residential" and "Non-residential" do not work, because each group has a residence.

I would have said "110 who lived in care-providing facilities, and 150 who lived in their own homes." I could then refer to them again as "facility residents" and "home residents."

I agree. I would not use "resident owner" concept at all. The residents could own or rent their own home or apartment. So as GWB says, "home residents".

mahsa.mim

Persian

thanks a lot

may I say " 110 nursing home residents, 150 living at home " because they are still living at home even after our research ?

and you changed "nursing home" to care-providing facilities... nursing home is not appropriate in this case?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    and you changed "nursing home" to care-providing facilities... nursing home is not appropriate in this case?
    It isn't so much a question of whether the term is inappropriate (because "nursing home" is a common term in AE), as whether there would be confusion between "home" and "nursing home", as the two terms look similar. Also note that nursing homes are not the only type of care facilities where the elderly might live; "care-providing facilities" is a more general term.

Andygc

British English
    may I say " 110 nursing home residents, 150 living at home
    Yes. There should be no confusion elsewhere in your text since the 110 live in homes (plural) and the 150 live at home (singular) - although it would be best always to write "in nursing homes" in full to be sure. But "nursing home residents" when using "nursing home" as an adjective.

"Nursing homes" are still called "nursing homes" in BE - Care homes | Care Quality Commission
    There are two main types of care homes you can search for on this website – residential and nursing homes. You can use the links below to find the services you need.
    I would expect the term "care-providing facilities" to include day care centres and memory clubs. It does not appear an appropriate term to use as a substitute for "nursing homes". It's also rather longer than the obvious (to a BE speaker) alternative "care homes", which includes homes with and without nursing.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    We compared demoralization among elderly people living at home with those living at nursing homes.
    which phrase is more appropriate :

360 elderly people were chosen :110 nursing home residents, 150 Home Residents / or home owner residents?
    The phrase "at home" (in the first sentence) is fine, and "home residents" is fine.

"Home" could mean house, condo or apartment. It could mean living alone or with others.

"Owner" is not relevant to the study. It is not part of how the groups were split. Most people living "at home" (not in a nursing home) do not own the place they live.

The study is comparing two ways of living: nursing home and regular home.

"Non-residential" is incorrect: every person "resides" (lives) somewhere. The phrase "non-residential real estate" means things like office buildings, where people work but do not sleep overnight.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >