Homecoming Queen & King

Saoul

Italian
Amicicici,

è tradizione negli USA eleggere gli homecoming Queen & King, che sarebbero due studenti all'ultimo anno (seniors), eletti come Regina e Re(ginetto) del college.
Non riesco a trovare una traduzione adatta, soprattutto per rendere l'idea di "homecoming" vale a dire, per quanto mi è dato di capire, il primo periodo dell'anno scolastico, il rientro degli studenti dalle vacanze.
Siccome è una festa abbastanza importante (con partite di football, hockey etc etc) vorrei provare a renderla.
E' stato precedentemente aperto un thread su "homecoming" in cui si parlava di rimpatriata, ma ritengo non sia molto legato invece al titolo "homecoming queen and king", per cui apro un altro thread. (Mods, se ritenete che invece sia correlato, ditemelo, che lo unisco all'altro. :))

Come sempre grazie in anticipo per il vostro aiuto.
Saoul

• Saoul

Italian
    No CC non è assolutamente troppo banale, e neppure la scelta di Fra3nic.
    Per il momento avevo buttato lì un "reginetto della festa di inizio semestre", ma stavo cercando un termine più breve per evitare che il doppiatore dovesse ingoiarsi la lingua o simili! :)

Grazie mille per i suggerimenti.
    Saoul

SweetSoulSister

American English
    Mmm.. I think your understanding of "homecoming" is not fully correct. The homecoming dance and game take place twice per year. One is usually for (American) football (in the fall) and one is for basketball (in the winter).
    The people who are coming home for the "homecoming" are all the alumni of the school- former students return to their home school for the games. The alumni go to the games, not usually the dances, and sometimes wear their old sport or cheerleading uniforms. It's like some kind of reunion at the game.

nickditoro

English/USA
    Amicicici,

è tradizione negli USA eleggere gli homecoming Queen & King, che sarebbero due studenti all'ultimo anno (seniors), eletti come Regina e Re(ginetto) del college.
    Non riesco a trovare una traduzione adatta, soprattutto per rendere l'idea di "homecoming" vale a dire, per quanto mi è dato di capire, il primo periodo dell'anno scolastico, il rientro degli studenti dalle vacanze.
    Siccome è una festa abbastanza importante (con partite di football, hockey etc etc) vorrei provare a renderla.
    E' stato precedentemente aperto un thread su "homecoming" in cui si parlava di rimpatriata, ma ritengo non sia molto legato invece al titolo "homecoming queen and king", per cui apro un altro thread. (Mods, se ritenete che invece sia correlato, ditemelo, che lo unisco all'altro. :))

Come sempre grazie in anticipo per il vostro aiuto.
    Saoul
    A few things for clarity's sake, Saoul: 1) it's usually "homecoming king and queen" rather than "queen and king"; 2) the "homecoming" part is not so much the return of students from vacation as the return to campus of alumni/ae; 3) it's almost always a football game (American football, of course :) ); addendum: it's done both at high schools and colleges.

Nick

Saoul

Italian
    Sorry guys, but I need to understand properly. The Queen and King (thanks Nick! Ladies first!) are voted among the senior students, aren't they? They are not voted among the former student who graduated in the past, correct?

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Nick, my high school didn't even have a homecoming King, just a Queen. Guys in the 1970s didn't really care about that kind of thing. ;)

But back to Saoul's dilemma, since there is no equivalent tradition in Italy, and it's impossible to render everything that the word "homecoming" conjures up to American audiences without a massively long translation, I could advise going with something simple that's generically close, such as reunione degli studenti.

For what it's worth, I don't think these events actually draw a large number of alumni (former students). At my high school, way back when, it was an excuse to have a parade and a dance -- and a queen (yes, chosen from the senior class). ;)

Elisabetta

SweetSoulSister

American English
    At my school, not only seniors vote. The entire school can vote for homecoming. For prom, that is a little different, but for homecoming all students are invited and all can vote. Alumni do not vote.
    :)

nickditoro

English/USA
    Nick, my high school didn't even have a homecoming King, just a Queen. Guys in the 1970s didn't really care about that kind of thing. ;)

But back to Saoul's dilemma, since there is no equivalent tradition in Italy, and it's impossible to render everything that the word "homecoming" conjures up to American audiences without a massively long translation, I could advise going with something simple that's generically close, such as reunione degli studenti.

For what it's worth, I don't think these events actually draw a large number of alumni (former students). At my high school, way back when, it was an excuse to have a parade and a dance -- and a queen (yes, chosen from the senior class). ;)

Elisabetta
    I went to high school long before you did, back when guys were proud to be kings! :D

But you're absolutely right; in high school, it's a dance. In college, it's about alumni ($$$$$), but for the game and the other festivities. Students have theirs, and alumni have theirs. Everybody gets drunk and has a good ol' time.

Nick

Saoul

Italian
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The Queen and the King can be only senior students. First years cannot be Queen and King, can they? I'm asking this, because I think that "rimpatriata" distorts a bit the idea.

Yes Elisabetta, you are probably right. I'm under the impression that the best solution is to use general expressions such as "festa degli studenti" or similar.

Saoul

Italian
    Oddly enough they write "homecoming king and queen". :)
    Thanks Nick that was helpful, even though it doesn't change my problem with a suitable translation. I guess there's no solution, if not the one that Elisabetta suggested.

Thanks everybody. God how I love this place! :)

Funny how these things sometimes happen. :)

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    Oddly enough they write "homecoming king and queen". :)
    That's how it's normally written. I dare not say that's how it's supposed to be written, even though monarchies are a bit dated, as well as many ideas of that era. Today perhaps it should be written homecoming qkuieneng...but that's just ridiculous.

< Previous | Next >