homestead property

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Cubanboy, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    Hola. Estoy traduciendo un documento legal y tengo dudas al traducir lo siguiente al español.

WHEREAS, the parties have agreed to sell the homestead property at a mutually agreeable price and the net proceeds from the sale are to be distributed equally between A and B.

vender el inmueble//casa que constituye un bien de familia....

¿Qué les parece?

Muchas gracias por su ayuda.
    Saludos.

2. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    ¿Finca?
    ¿De qué país hablamos?

3. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    El texto original es de la Florida, USA.
    Saludos.

4. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    Gracias.
    No sé si has buscado en el diccionario, pero este hilo quizás sea relevante.

5. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    The term “homestead property” would probably be interpreted in accordance with the State law under which the contract is written. When I google for a legal definition, the only two hits I get are for Florida and Pennsylvania. The safest way may be to leave the English term, or to say something like “the sale of the property, which is designated as a “homestead property” in the State of Florida”.

6. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    Hi FRomPA,

I remember you and it's good to see you again on this forum.
    Taking into account the information you gave me and also the information provided in this link:

Bien de familia - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

I think I'll go with the following:

CONSIDERANDO QUE, las partes acordaron vender el inmueble considerado bien de familia a un precio de mutuo acuerdo, y las ganancias netas de dicha venta se distribuirán en partes iguales entre A y B.

I'd like to know your opinion.
    Thanks so much. Have a good day.

7. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    I think that would be fine. In thinking about it more, I noted that the term is not capitalized, meaning it’s not a term specifically defined within the contract, further implying that it’s not referencing a particular law. So the term would have the generally understood meaning. The Wikipedia description makes clear that the concept is the protection of a family residence. That is done by making sure that one family member can’t sell (or pledge) the residence out from under the other family members. (Side note: O.J. Simpson bought a family residence in Florida to shield his assets from creditors). I presume that the parties to your contract are family members who are documenting their mutual decision to sell their family home.

8. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    Thanks again for that information. Yes, they decided to sell their family house.
    Greetings.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 7:58 PM
  9. rajulbat

rajulbat Senior Member

English - United States (Houston)
    A homestead property, at least in Texas, is the one used as the owner's principal residence, subject to special tax treatment and exempt from judgments, etc. It's a tax designation.

Homestead Protection in Texas

10. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    Thanks for that information, but I wonder if you have an equivalent in Spanish; that's what I need most.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Greetings.

11. rajulbat

rajulbat Senior Member

English - United States (Houston)
    It likely depends on the taxing authority, i.e., the state or province or autonomous region or other political subdivision; whatever they decide to call it, if they even allow for such a designation.

In some countries it seems they use something like: vivienda familiar or bien/patrimonio de familia.

homestead | English to Spanish | Real Estate

Probate homestead | English to Spanish | Law: Contract(s)

HOMESTEAD | English to Spanish | Law (general)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 1:06 PM