hommage à cet homme au bel âge

Zebrakuh

Francais (France)
Help! The whole sentence is: 'voici un livre en hommage à cet homme au bel âge'. I'm trying to translate it and keep the pun... and don't find it easy... I've made a 'dary' try, but I'm not sure I can leave it at that... So, here it is:
'Here is a book as an hommage to this homme in his best age'... knowing that the man is a Frenchman, i.e. an 'homme'... What do you think?

• Padraig

Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic
    I think you should lose the pun. It's not much in French, and wordplay generally does not translate well.

My interest is in bel age. It has a resonance in French that I do not think carries into English. I don't like best age. Good age or great age generally refer to being old, and I have heard bel age applied to a girl on her sixteenth birthday. I suggest This book is a tribute this man in his prime.

Zebrakuh

Francais (France)
    Thanks for the help! You're right, Padraig, about the pun 'not beeing much' in French... And what about the word 'hommage': I'd very much like to stick to it in English. Would 'this book is an hommage to this man in his prime' be Ok?

Last edited:

Padraig

Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic
    Not hommage; the English spelling is homage. And yes, I think it is fine to use it. Personally, I would say a homage, but I think people might divide about equally over the a/an question.

< Previous | Next >