homosexualidad desgarrada

< Previous | Next >

mancunienne girl

English - England
El contexto es los temas que Almodóvar trata en sus películas. ¿"La homosexualidad desgarrada" sería algo como "blatant homosexuality", porque para mí la definición "shrill" del diccionari no tiene sentido en inglés.....?

• Valeria Mesalina

Spanish, Spain
    Yo creo que podría traducirse como dices; digamos que "desgarrada" aquí se usa en sentido metafórico. De todos modos si se trata de películas de Almodóvar cualquier adjetivo, aunque sea absurdo, vale.

maidinbedlam

Moderanged
    Spanish - Spain
    Hello,
    To me "homosexualidad desgarrada" suggests some kind of suffering or torn feelings, as in "atormentada". Troubled, anguished?

But I agree that in Almodovar's world it may have a less specific meaning.

FromPA

USA English
    Here's what the Collins dictionary says:

desgarrado adj
    1 [ropa] (=rasgado) torn
    (=hecho trizas) tattered, in tatters
    2 (=descarado) shameless, barefaced, brazen
    3 (=vicioso) licentious

# 2 seems to cover your interpretation.

FromPA

USA English
    To be honest, I'm not sure which to use.....I think it would be something like "over the top"!
    I was thinking something like that too ("in-your-face" and "flaming"), but each term has its own tone and connotation, with most of them being somewhat negative. I think the most nuetral term offered so far has been the original suggestion of "blatant."

timboleicester

English - UK
    I don't want to harp on but "flagrant" homosexual is the normal term. Not in fact blatant they all carry negative connotations however.

mancunienne girl

English - England
    Timboleicester.... except that flagrant is also negative. What worries me is that it implies that homosexuality itself is a negative thing; whereas it is the extreme behaviour of the particular homosexuals Almodovar is depicting which is the scandal, as it would be whatever one's sexual persuasion.....

< Previous | Next >