Honey-fuggled minute

theyellowyeyes

Italian
Ciao! Sto traducendo un piccolo dialogo in cui un personaggio, un cowboy che ha realizzato di essersi sbagliato sul conto di un amico, dice: "You done found this ol' thing in the very place my pardner betrayed me! Hey, wait a honey-fuggled minute! Maybe things woulda been different if I'd believed in my pardner that time..."

So che "honeyfuggle" significa "ingannare in modo suadente", ma non saprei bene come rendere questo aggettivo. Se ho capito giusto ed è una sorta di vezzeggiativo, forse potrebbe essere tradotto con "aspetta un minutino"?

Grazie a tutti! :)

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    I think "honey-fuggled" is here being used as if it's a euphemism for stronger language, and part of the humour relies on the similarity in sound between "fuggled" and "fucking":warning:. One could say "Hey, wait a fucking:warning: minute!" or "Hey, wait a goddamn:warning: minute!", but there's also a range of euphemisms, some more humorous than others: "Hey, wait a cotton pickin' minute!" is what comes to mind for me as something your cowboy might say. So I think you're looking for a funny-sounding Italian euphemism, especially one you might expect to hear from, say, your country uncle. Of these, I know nothing, but others will.:)

theyellowyeyes

Italian
    I think "honey-fuggled" is here being used as if it's a euphemism for stronger language, and part of the humour relies on the similarity in sound between "fuggled" and "fucking":warning:. One could say "Hey, wait a fucking:warning: minute!" or "Hey, wait a goddamn:warning: minute!", but there's also a range of euphemisms, some more humorous than others: "Hey, wait a cotton pickin' minute!" is what comes to mind for me as something your cowboy might say. So I think you're looking for a funny-sounding Italian euphemism, especially one you might expect to hear from, say, your country uncle. Of these, I know nothing, but others will.:)
    Thank you very much! :)

A User

Banned
    Italian
    Honeyfuggle (dialectal): to ingratiate or seek to ingratiate oneself.
    Wait a honey-fuggled minute! / Lasciami il tempo per un salamelecco! / (volgare) Dammi il tempo per una leccatina!

Last edited:

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Honeyfuggle (dialectal): to ingratiate or seek to ingratiate oneself.
    Wait a honey-fuggled minute! / Lasciami il tempo per un salamelecco! / (volgare) Dammi il tempo per una leccatina!
    I don't think there's any reference to the actual slang meaning of "honeyfuggle" in the original, though. It's being used purely as a kind of expletive because it sounds like a swear word. You wouldn't translate wait a cotton pickin' minute with dammi il tempo di raccogliere un po' di cotone. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >