honour killing

• Puellam audiam

Taiwanese, Mandarin
    well, the phrase comes from the news on TV today

On Skynew, the report is a woman's murder by her own father because her family does not approve of the guy she was with.

So, can I put it this way: honour killing is to kill somebody to avoid the shame he or she might get involved.

More or less like this, no?

The Scrivener

Banned
    England. English
    Hi, everyone!

What is "honour killing"?

Thanks for your attention!:)
    Hi Puellam audiam,

An honour killing is carried out on a family member, by other members of the family, because the person has brought shame and dishonour on the family's good name and reputation.

For instance, if a girl of a certain strict religion or race, falls in love with someone who is not a member of that religion or race, and defies her parents, she will often be murdered by her own father or brothers. This is to keep the family honour intact (barbaric though it is).

There was one such case reported in the UK today.

Other honour killings can be carried out between feuding families. If a member of one family seriously insults the good name of another, then the killing of that person will be organised, usually by a criminal gang such as the Mafia in Sicily.

In some societies, if a woman commits adultery, she is stoned to death to protect the honour of the husband whom she deceived.

Puellam audiam

Taiwanese, Mandarin
    Hi Puellam audiam,

An honour killing is carried out on a family member, by other members of the family, because the person has brought shame and dishonour on the family's good name and reputation.

For instance, if a girl of a certain strict religion or race, falls in love with someone who is not a member of that religion or race, and defies her parents, she will often be murdered by her own father or brothers. This is to keep the family honour intact (barbaric though it is).

There was one such case reported in the UK today.

Other honour killings can be carried out between feuding families. If a member of one family seriously insults the good name of another, then the killing of that person will be organised, usually by a criminal gang such as the Mafia in Sicily.

In some societies, if a woman commits adultery, she is stoned to death to protect the honour of the husband whom she deceived.
    Thanks, quite clear. Therefore, it does not refer only to Pakistani women.
    One more thing, what do you mean "stoned to death"? Being attcked by throwed stones till death?

sdgraham

USA English
    well, the phrase comes from the news on TV today

On Skynew, the report is a woman's murder by her own father because her family does not approve of the guy she was with.

So, can I put it this way: honour killing is to kill somebody to avoid the shame he or she might get involved.

More or less like this, no?
    If I were reporting on this barbaric practice, I would call it a "so-called honor killing," or use some other device to make it clear that the concept is not universally considered to be honorable.

Packard

USA, English
    You might want to take careful note that "honour killing" is the name of the act only; not necessarily a description of it.

There are some societies that would not consider this "honourable" at all.

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    You might want to take careful note that "honour killing" is the name of the act only; not necessarily a description of it.

There are some societies that would not consider this "honourable" at all.
    Packard is correct. Rape victims in certain parts of the world are often killed by their family "to restore the family's honor." I don't understand what this has to do with "honor."

mally pense

England, UK English
    I half-heard a report on BBC radio yesterday in which I suspected they had deliberately avoided using the term "honour killing" in favour of a description of what actually happened. Obviously, because I was only half-listening, there's a good chance I'm wrong about this, but avoiding the use of the term might make sense to a broadcaster in terms of remaining factual while at the same time avoiding getting involved in the controversy over the term itself.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    HERE is the BBC News report on that incident.
    You will see that they write "honour killing" and "so-called 'honour killing'".
    I heard this also on the radio but the words used in the report have long since fallen out of my brain.

mally pense

England, UK English
    Thanks for the link. The radio report I heard sounded very much like the second and third paragraphs (only) in that link, and it was the "after falling in love with a man her family did not want her to marry" that made me think they were avoiding relying on the controversial stock phrase.

Packard

USA, English
    Quotation marks are an effective way to distance yourself from your written words.

By adding quotation marks, you are indicating that it is someone else's words that you are quoting and not your own.

So in saying the following someone might think this was your own conclusion:

Jones shot his daughter to death as an honour killing because she married outside her religion.

But by simply adding quotation marks this is distanced from you and is now someone else's words and conclusion:

Jones shot his daughter to death as an "honour" killing because she married outside her religion.

< Previous | Next >