Hook up with

Hi, guys! Could you help me, please?
I'm being told, that @hook up with@ only means "to have sex" or "hang out (e.g. at a bar) with smb. Although some dictionaries give something like "to meet up with someone to hang out".
Could you clear out, what is the meaning of this verb in the passage below (that's the beginning of the Sex and the city novel).

<< An English journalist came to New York. She was attractive and witty, and right away she hooked up with one of New York's typically eligible bachelors. >>

Did she get laid with him, or just met him, or the meaning is ambiguous?

<< Tim was forty-two, an investment banker who made about $5 million a year. For two weeks, they kissed, held hands—and then on a warm fall day he drove her to the house he was building in the Hamptons. They looked at the plans with the architect. "I wanted to tell the architect to fill in the railings on the second floor, so the children wouldn't fall through," said the journalist. "I expected Tim was going to ask me to marry him." >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • I think the title of the novel--SEX and the City--will give you your answer. ;)

(Yes, she had sex with him.)
    Thanx. Though, I don't think every sentence in this novel should be about sex. What about the logic of the naration-
    1. They had sex
    2. then they kissed
    3. and they held hand?
    Does it make sence?

Let me rephpase my question, so that the title of the novel will not help you.
    The phrase "Yesterday I hooked up with a girl" means:
    1. I had sex with her yesterday
    2. I hung out whith a girl (we were sitting in a bar and that's all)
    3. I met with a girl (I haven't had sex with her, but we started dating)
    Could you give the numbers, mayby two or all or none?

(maybe there's some differences of sex behavior in our cultures that I don't undersdand ))

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    1. Yes.
    2. No.
    3. No.

Rephrased:
    1. Yes.
    2. No.
    3. Possibly, but highly doubtful.

I'm very familiar with the book, long-running TV show, and movies. Almost everything revolves around sex. Trust me. :D

Thanx a lot. You provided with information, that no dictionary would do. Can I ask for some cultural reference? If that is impertinent, that's ok.
    Could a man and a woman of, say 25 y.o.,start dating in America without having sex? I'm just trying to understand, what dating in America is?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'm a little confused; no title is given in post #1.
    << An English journalist came to New York. She was attractive and witty, and right away she hooked up with one of New York's typically eligible bachelors. >>
    This does not say to me that she immediately upon arrival ("right away") jumped into bed with this fellow. It says to me that very soon after she arrived in town, she made a connection with this man. "Eligible bachelor" means that he was a possible husband.

"Hook up with" doesn't necessarily mean to have sex with.

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    I'm a little confused; no title is given in post #1.

This does not say to me that she immediately upon arrival ("right away") jumped into bed with this fellow. It says to me that very soon after she arrived in town, she made a connection with this man. "Eligible bachelor" means that he was a possible husband.

"Hook up with" doesn't necessarily mean to have sex with.

When we're talking about Sex and the City (which ​is given in post #1), yes, it does. :eek:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Oops, it wasn't set off as a title, and I missed it. I didn't read the novel; I assume you did. Are you saying that every male-female interaction in the book consists of sexual relations? And that this journalist immediately upon arrival did in fact leap into bed with the "eligible bachelor"?

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    Oops, it wasn't set off as a title, and I missed it. I didn't read the novel; I assume you did. Are you saying that every male-female interaction in the book consists of sexual relations? And that this journalist immediately upon arrival did in fact leap into bed with the "eligible bachelor"?

I haven't read the book, but I watched the show and saw the movies, and sex informs nearly everything they do.

The Simpsons parodied the show, with a character saying "If I'm not having sex by the time I finish this quesadilla, I'll scream."

So yes, I do believe the woman leaped into bed with the eligible bachelor...maybe not immediately upon meeting him, but very soon afterward. :eek: