hookup

presl

Hello! :)

Does “hookup” mean “cooperative effort” in this context? See definition 5:an association, alliance, or cooperative effort. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hookup

So may I get this sentence in red as “I can cooperate with one of boys in the kitchen [ to get the rubber cement in the bottom of that coffeepot.]” ?

Am I getting this one correctly?

( Prison Break – Sucre was trying to make Michael some other suggestions since Westmoreland [D.B. Cooper] refused to help Michael to start a fire in the guard’s room ... )

Sucre: Look, there's a coffeemaker in the guard's room, right? I've got a hookup with one of my boys in the kitchen. If we can get rubber cement in the bottom of that coffeepot, when the burner goes on...

Michael: It's a good idea, but without Westmoreland, we're never getting in that room.

... ...

• brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    I think your definition works okay, or the third definition from the second source on that site:

3. Informal A linkage or connection, often between unlikely associates or factors.
    but I agree with Franzi that it has to do with a source for goods, like drugs. Indeed hookup is derived from the phrasal verb to hook (someone) up (with something), for example: One of the boys in the kitchen hooks Sucre up with a coffee maker.

It means "supplies him with."

Isadorah

français
    Hello. Could a "hookup" mean a kiss? What else? Is it a "teen word"? Thanks for your explanations

Myridon

English - US
    To those of us over 40-ish, it used to mean just innocently "get together" as in "Let's hook up later and go to the movies." This usage now brings peals of laughter from our children as they think we'll be doing something nasty before the show.

Isadorah

français
    Thanks for your replies.When I read it, it was about a kiss, but people talked about it using jokes...it's clearer now.

< Previous | Next >