Hookups/Breakups

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
Hi Group,

What does it mean "Hook up" I know that means originally "plug in", but what about the other meaning, that you gave to this phrasal verb. I have an example "I hook up with Susan last night" what does it mean? and what they're traying to say? The opposite of hook up is break up, right?

• Sharon

United States, English
    To hook up means to get together. It isn't so much plugging in as it is connecting. You would hook up the speakers to the stereo, but you plug in the stereo, if that makes sense.If you are hooking up with a person, you are getting together with them.
    "I've got errands to run today, but I'll hook up with you later tonight."
    In my eyes, hooking up is not a permanent thing. I hook up with my friends, but when we go home, we're not "breaking up."

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    So, "Hook up" means to meet someone and spent time together. I hook up with my friends/girlfriend or whatever, could be the same thing as "hang out", right? But when you first meet someone, how can I say in this particular case "hook up"?

Sharon

United States, English
    "Hang out" has more of a feel of spending more time together. "We hooked up around 6, and hung out until 10." Hooking up is more of the beginning action. "We met at 6, and hung out 'til 10."
    You can say it when you first meet someone, but you would have to show the person was new by actually saying it. "I hooked up with a new friend last night, he was pretty cool."

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    So you use "hook up" when you first meet someone, could be friends/girlfriend, etc and "hang out", is when you're friends and you get to know each other, right? So, why in the TV their is a section called "Hookups and Breakups" what does they're trying to say with the "hook up" here?

Sharon

United States, English
    Usually you "hang out" with people you already know. It is more used to show that you spent time with them.
    Hook up (to me) is more the moment, or beginning moments when you get together with a friend/girlfriend/boyfriend/family, etc.
    As an example, if I loan a friend of mine (Mary,) some money, and a couple days later, someone else calls me, and wants to go out, but I am broke, I could say to my friend, "Yes, I would like to go to a movie, but I have to hook up with Mary before we go, so that I can get my money." This doesn't mean that I am going to spend time with Mary, I just need to get in contact with her, make the connection, hook up.
    As far as the "Hookups and Breakups" television show, there is another show called "Blind Date" and the camera follows a couple (that they have hooked up) on their first date, and watch their reactions to each other, (whether it is good or bad, it makes for good TV.) I would assume that the show you are talking about is sort of like that. They hook up two people, (make the connection) and watch their reaction to each other.

New Zealand, English
    Hola. Soy de nueva zelanda y no se dice "hook up" nunca para encontrar alguien! aqui significa besar. si digo, i hooked up with a girl last night, significa besar. its real funny when some people do say "hook up" instead of meet, i think it comes from American TV, people take it the wrong way and have a laugh! we would say, "meet up" or something.
    hope you find this interesting?!

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Boy, I dunno...

I'm definitely not as hip as I used to be, but from what I've absorbed indirectly, mostly via my kids (recently teenaged, now grown), I thought "hook up" had a clear sexual connotation. Like the word "date" as it's used nowadays, but more one-pop, and more explicit.

That meaning, without too many apparent nuances on other levels, sure seems to be the case with recent black AE slang. So the TV moguls are preempting it for situation "comedies" and getting it slightly wrong, maybe? Imagine my surprise.

Of course I'm not arguing with anyone who actually uses the expression, but doesn't it have that extra meaning? In some contexts isn't sexual connection the primary meaning of "hook up with?" I know for sure I've heard "hooked up last night" with an intonation that implied "hooked up all night."

Kelly B

USA English
    Like foxfirebrand, I take "to hook up with" to mean to have sex with. Casual seems to fit in there somewhere, too....

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Kelly B said:
    Like foxfirebrand, I take "to hook up with" to mean to have sex with. Casual seems to fit in there somewhere, too....
    "To hook up with" doesn't necessarily have to mean "to have (casual) sex with." It can mean "to make out with" as well, so the spectrum of meanings is pretty broad. Excue the vulgarity, but I think oral sex lies somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    So "hook up with" is no longer available to mean "meet together".
    People used to say innocently "We're going to hook up with Janet and Jack tonight and go bowling."

Sigh.....

Gordonedi

UK (Scotland) English
    panjandrum said:
    People used to say innocently "We're going to hook up with Janet and Jack tonight and go bowling."

Sigh.....
    Look on the bright side !
    At least as far as I am aware, the term "bowling" remains unsullied. :)

Amityville

English UK
    Seems any word that starts off meaning spending time with a person ends up meaning having sex with them. X is seeing Y, nudge, wink.
    Bring back courting.

duder

USA/English
    panjandrum said:

Sigh.....

I think that it just depends on the age group that one spends most time with. I can't imagine that many people over 30 would use "hook up" with a sexual connotation. I'm well under that age myself, and your "innocent" example remains acceptable to me.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    panjandrum said:

Sigh.....
    It is, but the it has been tainted with the newly emergent sexual connotation. Makes for a lot of lousy pun humor...

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    duder said:
    I think that it just depends on the age group that one spends most time with. I can't imagine that many people over 30 would use "hook up" with a sexual connotation. I'm well under that age myself, and your "innocent" example remains acceptable to me.
    Hmmmm.... You know I just can't quite work out how to take that:)

JoeE

Tagalog/Philippines
    What it boils down to is the context in which "hooked up" or "hook up" is used. It can mean all of the above (in all your posts).

To hook up is assumed to be sexual in the context of pairings, but if you say,

'I'm gonna hook up with my friends later," the context of "friends" both as implication that you are nothing more than friends and the plural makes us recognize that it's just to hang out.

Since hooking up in the sexual sense generally arises randomly or in unexpected contexts, if you say,

I hope I hook up with XXX tonight!
    I hooked up with XXX yesterday.
    You want to go somewhere to hook up?

These are not vague.

versus these vagueries:

We hooked up at the bar.
    Let's hook up later and go to a movie.
    If we can't hook up tonight, I'll look for you this weekend.

(Public display of affection or meeting of friends?)

justjukka

USA
    English - USA
    Hello. I am new to this forum and what brought me here was this very same question. I've wondered about it for a while and nobody could give me a direct answer, so I'd like to thank everyone for their definition. Society truly comes up with odd terminoligy.